Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 liquid smoke for black bear >

liquid smoke for black bear

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

liquid smoke for black bear

Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM

Default liquid smoke for black bear

any of u baiters ou there squirt this around the bait site?ive heard the bear love it os i went out and boguth a bottle at the store(was only like a buck 40..)just wanted to know if anyones heard of this or tries it..thanks!
mike

Old 08-07-2007, 11:46 AM

Default RE: liquid smoke for black bear

I've never heard of that. I'd like to think it would work, but I know when I use it around the house my wife always asks, "Is there something burning?" Not just my cooking either.

So would it smell like a fire to a bear? "LIQUID SMOKE" you know.

To us, a fire can smell like dinner. But to an animal, a fire might smell like GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 PM

interesting thought...any others have an opinion before i go crazy with this stuff at my bait..lol
Old 08-07-2007, 12:59 PM

I use it on my baits and it works good, take a squirt bottle fill it with half warm water and pour the liquid smoke in it...
Spray on the way out and everywere you have walked by the bait.
Brett
Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM

I've used it and bears found my baits within a couple of days. Was it because of the liquid smoke???? I don't know, all I know is that it didn't hurt.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Hi Beaver buster,

Yep liquid smoke works just dandy. Make sure you use it every time you bait. Spray the trees, bait crip, your trail everything. It acts as an attractant as well as a cover scent. Spray the smoke every time you bait and the bears will know that the bait was just filled. It acts like a call sign that lets them know its snack time. Now when you go into hunt,,,spray it around like you would on a regular bait run and the bears will come a runnin'..... Well, maybe not come runnin' but it will let them know that the bait has just been re-stocked and they will come to check the bait. The strong smell of the liquid smoke also acts as a cover scent to help cover your scent. Remember when you go into hunt be as clean as can be and spray the smoke all around. If you can't find a good supply of smoke, just about anything "smelly" will work as long as you use the same stull all season. Vanilla, maple, and anise also work just as good,...its really what you have good access to. Myself, I use about45-50 gallons a year of liquid smoke, so.....yes I would have to say it works.

Happy bear hunting!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have used it every year I have had a tag and everytime I have baited for other people.. It does work well... I spray it in the trees abovethe bait and in trees around it... Also spray on the ground for the bears to walk in and when they leave they leave a nice scent trail everywhere the walk... I also use mollasses around the bait on the ground for the same effect.. The liquid smoke scent really carries and thats why I spray it as high in the trees possible.. In 99 I carried in the bottle of smoke and baited and smoked the trees and then put the spray bottle in a gunnysack and placed it at the base of my tree.. The first bear that came in came in from behind me and walked right to the base of the tree and uncovered the sack that I had covered up with leaves and got into the liquid smoke right under me... Nerve racking for a few minutes until he bit into the bottle and it must have been a little strong for his taste, he then decided to walk to the bait...At the base of my tree he looked up 3 or 4 times at me and it took awhile for my butt to unpucker. It works good..
Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM

Mix equal parts of liquid smoke and vanilla extract into a spray bottle. Spray the brush and high branches everytime you enter your bait site.