Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Building preference points (CO)...Best Unit?? >

Building preference points (CO)...Best Unit??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Building preference points (CO)...Best Unit??

Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Spike

Default Building preference points (CO)...Best Unit??

I've been building preference points in CO, and now have (4). Same for mulie. In the next year or two, I want to book a good hunt somewhere in an area that has a reputation for quality animals. Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Been in NM the past two years, but didn't draw this year and may do a DIY hunt in CO...unless I draw my speed goat tag in WY, then no elk this year...errgghhh!!

Anyway, any suggestions on an area (and if you know of a good outfitter in the area, all the better).
Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Building preference points (CO)...Best Unit??

Since you're on the south side, I'd recommend unit 76. There some quality animals in that unit, it's on the south side of CO., so not too far for ya to go. The only problem will be your number of PP's. Without knowing if your rifle, archery, or muzzleloader, I can't tell ya if 4 PP's are enough or not.

Without doing some research, I can't help with an outfitter!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Spike

Howler,

I live in the midwest (WI) and do one western hunt a year, whether it be DIY or with an outfitter...so that being said, I have no personal preference for location in CO. I've hunted down near Montrose, Beauna Vista and in the Glenwood Springs/Gypsum area.

Thanks...just thinking that in the next year or two I should have good odds in a limited tag area??
Old 08-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howler...4 points ain't even CLOSE for 76, at least not for a non-resident.. It took me 10 points to draw a Muzz tag three years ago...

Great unit for elk, tho...Wish I could hunt there more often than every 10-12 years..
Old 08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I beleive a NR needs 6 PP's for archery in unit 76 now. That's close, isn't it?[8D]
Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Howler

I beleive a NR needs 6 PP's for archery in unit 76 now. That's close, isn't it?[8D]
Not anymore, I hunted unit 76 (also from Wi.) several years ago and it only took 3 points now its pretty high, It takes more each year pref.point creep so really its like you only get a 1/2 point per year especially for NR.
I was very fortunate that thru the years I could hunt 76,and 61 twice
because it didn't take too many points. Now I am too old to ever get a prime hunting area but thats ok I will take my ML during the reg. ml season (although that takes 2 points to get a bull tag) alternate Bull,cow and buck. Years back they didn't issue a PP solely to get a PP you had to apply for a hunt unit. Now I know a ton of people who apply every year
and have a lot of points but never go. The guys that want to hunt every year or two are pretty well shut out from the prime area's, but we are non-residents and really the res. should have a priority.
Redclub