Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Preference Points

Old 07-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Preference Points

Got a little story on a resident trying to get a draw tag(Colorado resident being me).
I used to archery antelope hunt every year, I thought why waste three years putting in for the rifle draw tag. So about seven years ago I thought why not put in and go rifle antelope hunting once where I live. So I did just that. This year when I got my refund back from the Division of wildlife I went down to the office to see how far ahead I was looking to draw a tag. It was taking nine to draw this year. So I looked it up and saw that my unit issues 13 tags a year for roughly 400 applicants. I asked the officer if they had done the math on how long it would take the guy that just applied for the first time to draw an antelope tag in the future. They had no idea at a guess. When I told them it would take roughly 30 years for the guy that applied in 2005 to draw a tag. I told them to do the math and they were shocked. So was I.

When I get to nine points two years from now. It will be taking atleast 10 to 12 points. But somewhere around 10 to 15 years I should get my tag. It will be my last. Wyoming you sure are looking good buddy.

Someday when I don't get to buy an over the counter bull elk tag or miss the draw when it goes all draw. This rough tough mountain man is going to be in tears. Some people hunt, hunting is what I live for and was born to do. Grab your muskets boys where headed for a fight.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Preference Points

How true and disappointing it is.I'm 36 yrs. old and would love to put in for some of these tags. But when I here how long it takes to draw one. Well I may be 56 yrs. old when it happens.Not that that's old .But you see my point. I know a guy that started putting in for a Mnt.Goat tag here in Colorado back in 1983. He finally drew his last year.I know guys trying to draw moose tags as well. This will be one of theirs 11th yr. Non- resident pricing had been a topic of much discussion lately. But I've decided that in half the time it would take me to draw a Moose or an Antelope tag I could save my money and go to B.C. for the moose and go to Wyo. and Pay the $250 or so dollars for a tag then pay a rancher a couple of hundred dollars to hunt his property.It took me 30 yrs. to start huntingI don't want it to be another 30 just to get achance attwo other animals that I wouldlove to hunt.
GLOB!