Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Delete.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I wear a small back pack and a fanny pack. The small pack I think is needed to not mess with your shooting. Too much weight in a pack can cause problems over the course of a long day. On my fanny pack is a bow hook. This is a great tool for glassing so you don't have to put your bow on the ground. The other thing is most of the stuff in my pack is cloth[game bags and clothing, those types of things]. My Fanny pack is loaded with things I need out quickly, so I don't have to remove my pack. Things happen very fast bow hunting, so not having to fool with your pack is a good thing.
Gselkhunter
Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Delete.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

When we packed in we usually made at least 2 trips,35# is a lot on your back especially if you are going uphill, What I do is make a list of the camping essentials and take that in first (leave Bow etc in truck). Set up camp next day go back and get some more gear. Archery hunt should not require more than 20# of clothes,pack light very light. some folks even cut off the handles on there tooth brush. Have hunters share equipment if possible. Bone out the meat. Its going to be hard work but it is elk hunting.
If you think you can walk away from hunters you can't. They will be all over. even in the wilderness area's.
Redclub
Old 08-08-2007, 11:48 PM

So your saying keep the whole backpack 20 lbs and under or just the clothes in the pack? Because thats alot of clothes
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Red club was saying cloths weight not over 20lbs. If you go with Capilene or another good base layer and polar fleece pants and jacket and a couple long sleeve T shirts, socks and underware you should be in that ball park. The good thing about no cotton other than T shirts is I can be out all night and be comfortable if I am chasing that big bull.
Gselkhunter
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I finally just got the opportunity to read through this whole thread. LOTS of great info!

I'm also planning on doing the same thing next year. I've been out on 1 rifle hunt, as has my dad, and my brother has been out there for work (he's an environmental biologist) so we all have a LITTLE experience with the terrain and such.

I have some questions too.

As far as packs are concerned, would an aluminum pack frame be advantageous over one of the flexible type like Dwight Shuh's 4-in-1 and 5-in-1 system? Basically, they're a fanny pack and day pack (plus a couple other small organizational packs) mounted on an "Enduraflex" pack frame. It's supposed to be lightweight and more comfortable to carry. Thoughts?

Are packing string businesses fairly common or kind of the exception to the rule? We want to camp in the mountains, I have a new Cabela's Outfitters tent with a wood stove and I'd rather not just drive up to a trail head and set up. 2 reasons. 1. Theft (unfortunately). I don't want to come down off the mountain and find all of our gear and my tent gone. 2. I'd like to be ahead of anyone coming in from the road so they push game towards me and I can get further back in than them.

I know I could just do a drop camp hunt with an outfitter but I'm trying to watch costs very carefully.

Thanks!