Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado elk hunting

Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Spike

Default Colorado elk hunting

Hi everyone just joined after reading some of the forums as a guest. I have been banging my head against the wall for a week now trying to figure out a place in colorado to go elk hunting with an over the counter tag. I have been applying in Wyoming unit 7 for 5 years now and yet to draw a tag. Have as many pref point aspossible but failed to draw again this year. Two years ago after failing to draw I went to Idaho with a group after not drawing in Wy.and saw 1 elk in 5 days and it was dead in the basin shot by my buddy. That is the only elk hunt I have been on and am excited about going again. I am a true greenhorn.....to elk hunting. Me and a buddy are wanting to go to colorado during the second rifle season. We are willing to put in the effort to hike off the main trails to get away from the crowds. I have went through the harvest stats and elk numbers and read the info on colo. web site on the units and have used my eastmans hunting journal mrs sections to try to narrow my search. Am considering units 14,444,47,70,71. I dont expect anyone to give up there hot spots, just asking for info on these units as far as a couple of greenhorns hopefully seeing some elk and not getting themselves in to a spot that is over our heads. Any info would be appreciated. Just want to hunt elk.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Default RE: Colorado elk hunting

I have hunted Colorado on my own numerous times, it's a blast. If you have a few places narrowed down, call the division of wildlife office in that area. Get ahold of the warden and ask questions. That is how I found my favorite spot. I was actually going to go to the north side of the particular area, and the warden advised the soutern part, he was right. One warning, I don't know where you are from, but I am a flatlander born and bred, if some one from Colorado say's, "yeah, it's a little steep", it's probably closer to vertical : ) Good huntin'
Old 04-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you looked a tthe odds in WY? you should be able to get a good idea when you should draw......also consider other areas.....

If I were you I would be applying to all the great elk states......hoping to get lucky in a great area....and if not building pts until you do draw a great tag, and if you apply to lets just say 5 elk states.....at some point you should draw 5 tags in 5 years.....so to speak......just a suggestion but you can draw NM this year! the best units in the state, everyone has the same odds.....course the raffle has ended, but consider other states in years to come, I've hunted elk a few times, still a greenhorn in many respects,

look into Arizona, NM, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming.......This is the first year I put in for a point for elk in CO, I don't plan to elk hunt that state for many years.....I think the other states I mentioned have far greater trophy potential.

Funny comment I heard from a exp'd hunter, older man, "a guide in Colorado will have you convinced a 300" bull is a big elk"

Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. All advice is appreciated. I am a flatlander from Kansas and have shot my share of great deer but always wanted that elk. Traded a deer hunt 4 the elk hunt in wyoming on the guys private ground so am stuck applying for that unit.
Also has anyone used a drop camp? Where they pack you in and out but you are on your own hunting. If so any suggestions of someone. Thanks
Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 AM

If you are trophy hunting, you might advised to look at other places than Colorado. I am strictly a meat hunter, and do it for the enjoyment of being in the absolutely awesome country where elk live. I hope to retire to Colorado, or one of the elk states when the time comes. or now, I just go there when ever I can.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

I would say your odds of killing a goodelk are better in areas thathave leftovers and not OTC units. If you don't have google earth you need it! Thats the way I do most my scouting before I ever leave the house. If it ain't elk country I don't waste me time.