Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default RE: Elk Hunting in Colorado?

1. Get on Colorado Division of Wildlife's site and do your research. Compare the harvest statistics for the units you might want to hunt in.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/
2. The US Forest service regulates where ATV's can & cannot go. They have maps to help with this.
3. A good mapping software like TOPO works great for me since I can print out topo maps of any area of the state I want to hunt. It intregrates with my gps too.
4. Also check out Google Earth, in some areas, the pics are so good you can see game trails, foot trails and of course streams and such.
5. Make sure you know what to expect weather wise.For bow seasonyou will be hunting high (10,000-12,000 feet).You may see 70's down to20's, rain, shine orIhave even seen a blizzard in August!Evena rain storm at that altitudecan drop the temps 40 degrees in an hour. Being prepared isessential.
6. Clothing in layers is what works.Especially if your camo outer wear is waterproof and lightweight.
7. As for food, your not going to live off the land?? Keep in mind some areas might be under a fire ban that time of year so you may have to cook with whatever backpacking stove you bring in.

Don't mean to be gloom & doom about it but too many guys come out unprepared and either have a miserable trip or come out of the mountains on a stretcher. If the details are taken care of, it can be a trip of a lifetime!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Tho not specific to CO or unit 74 I hope this helps...

http://members.tripod.com/~elkhunter2/

and good luck to you.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a flint and prepare for the worst possible weather. Try to make your gear light, so you won't have to struggle during the hikes.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howler. What do you mean preference points?
There is a hunt code that you can use when applying for tags/preference points that allows you to simply apply for just a preference point. If a guy doesn't want to, or can't hunt CO. every year but plans on hunting CO. every few years, you can build up preference points and with them then have better draw odds for better units that take a few up to many preference points.
If I remember right, it does cost NR's more than R's to apply for the points only, so some have suggested to simply apply for a unit that requires way more points than you have banked and it will save you some money. In other words, if you put in for the draw for a unit that takes a minumum of 10 points but you only have 2 pp's, than you won't draw but WILL get a pp and it will save you money when compared to only applying for a pp!
Someone correct if that is wrong, BUT I beleive that is what I have read before.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

I applied for a pp only this year, because i knew i wouldn't get drawn for a muzzleloader tag on my first try. The fee was about about $250 which i received a refund for all except $25 for the processing fee. This way i can still go otc during 2nd rifle season and maybe with some lucknext year i'll get drawn for a ml tag with one pp in hand.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Pig,
Just a thought but my dad runs a pack string business. Hewill get you into anywhere you want to go.He charges a flat rate and milage usually works out to about 300 bucks a man. If this intrests you I will get you his contact info and you can talk to him direct.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Spike

You can also order the Colorado Outdoors Magazine for about $10 per year, which can contain a few good articles from time to time.

I live in the flat country (MN) and hunt the back-country of North-Central CO most years. In addition to the prep that has already been discussed here, my topfour would be:

[ul][*]A GOOD pair of boots, along with a backup pair. I am fussy with my boots, and look for somthing that is water proof, 2-600gr of insulation (depending on which season you hunt) and somthing at 4 pounds or less.[*]A good tent. We typically have a wall tent for base camp, and will have a 2-man tent when packing in.[*]A comfortable day-pack and a good frame pack.[*]Get in SHAPE!! If you are coming from an area like MN that is flat and 1000 ft above sea level (on a tall hill) the mountains will kick your butt, no matter how fit you think that you are. I hike & jog on a local ski hill to get accustomed to the incline. About now I willstart to hike the ski hill with 15-40 pounds on my back (starting low and working up over the next few weeks). However, I am currently laying flat on my back after straining some ligaments in my low back. (I have some work to do yet!). Being out of shape for the mountains can make an elk hunt very miserable.[/ul]
Enjoy!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Thanks guys I do appreciate all the information that has been given.

Even doom pointers are great to work off of so that it doesnt happen or can be watched out for.

So if we hike in and make a spike camp I guess it does make since to take 2 packs, day pack and another to get all the goods to start the main camp? Correct? Because I have been searching all over the net for 1 do it all type pack.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

I think Leeklm might have given the best advice. Get in shape, it will make all the difference. Everything will improve to close the deal. Material things are good but if the operator can't use them they are no good. Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: PiggySticken

So if we hike in and make a spike camp I guess it does make since to take 2 packs, day pack and another to get all the goods to start the main camp? Correct? Because I have been searching all over the net for 1 do it all type pack.
Definitly two packs. Something like this for a day pack while hunting (carry emergency supplies as well in case you get lost. always expect you may have to spend the night if you are in a very remote area) I use this pack in blaze orange while my brother prefers a good fanny pack with shoulder straps.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search_redir&id=0006533511 914a&navCount=4&podId=0006533&parentId =cat20124&masterpathid=&navAction=push&amp ;catalogCode=QW&rid=&parentType=index& indexId=cat20124&hasJS=true

And somthing like this to carry your tent & supplies to spike camp, as well as pack out an animal...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0027273&navCount=3&parentId=cat 20124&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmC at=search_redir&parentType=index&indexId=c at20124&rid=

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.