Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Old 08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting in Colorado?

I too have to agreee with the get in shape. I have hunted with guys that work out daily at a gym and have them 50 yards behind catching their breath. For some they think if they hit the gym a month before they come out here they will be " good'nuff " In all reality they just wasted a month by doing nothing that is going to benefit them. You have to work out in ways that willhelp you... like walking or jogging. I used to walk 2-3 miles a day with my pack on. I would fill 1 gallon ziplock bags full of sand to weigh downmy pack.I would do this on my scouting trips as well. Things like this are what is going to make you run around a mountain and put you in the be posistion for success. One thing I have learned "the elk don't wait on you".
This brings up another idea that hasn't been mentioned,But is VERY important. Be sure you read up on altitude sickness before you come up. So you can realize the signs before it gets serious. It is a common and can be a very serious situation. This is not just for the guys in here from out of state, It can happen to anyone.I have heard of guys being from 6,00 going to 10,000 and have it happen. one of which almost cost him his life and was fortunate it was only 3 days in the hospital.If you start feeling flu like symptoms and a headache. You probably need to abandon your hunting and head for camp.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Spike

Good point ElkNutz. Get to the mountains as early as you can so that you can become somewhat acclimated. Give yourself at least a couple of days. It could be painful if you show up on Friday, and start hunting at 10K feet Saturday AM! Some do it, but they are tougher than me!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I can vouch for that. Last year we stayed at 7200 feet and hunted from 8000 to 10500. I had headaches and felt pretty bad for a couple of days. Luckily we went a4 daysbefore the hunt to get acclimated. I felt much better after 3 days and remember to drink plenty of water. Make sure to get a good pack frame. It will make all the difference.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:56 AM

On the pack issue, you do not need to buy two packs. There are many top load mountaineering packs that have a detachable top compartment that you can use as a day pack. It won't be as comfy as one dedicated pack, but this option allows you to have gear that fills more than one requirement, always a good rule to follow if you can. Also, come prepared with cordage and small pullies, or beiners. If you knock something down you may need a little mechanical advantage to work it into position for quartering. This will be essential for you if you still plan on packing it out yourself. It's doable, but you'll be glad elk season only comes once a year if you have to go far.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

10-4 on getting some mechanical advantage to quarter an elk. I am a lifelong deer hunter and when I walked up alone to my first elk last year I grabbed on to a leg and figured I would roll it over and gut it like a deer. Lots bigger and heavier than a deer and I had to gut it on it's side. I skinned and quartered one side at a time and it was work I'll tell you that. I guess the gutless method would be worth looking into but I had to do what I knew at the time and that was get everything that isn't meat and bone out of the cavity as quickly as possible.Elk meat is soooooooooooooooo good. We went 3 for 3 on a DIY and I can't wait to get back again this year with my 2 great hunting buds.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Delete.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Great info guys and thanks for responding, I have just been reading what everyone says and learning. I will post here again shortly with another question im sure.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Would one of these 2 packs be a good Day Pack?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...08000_400-8-12

BadLands 2800?
http://www.buckridgesports.com/badlands2800.htm
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Delete.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 AM

I guess I will learn as I go.

I am Bow hunting.

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.