Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice >

First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice

Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice

Could you send your rifle to a dealer in Nevada and then pick it up when you get there?

Oh, and what zone are you hunting in? I have access to a ranch in Area 10, hopefully one day I will get drawn, they only give out like 27 tags.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it would be easy to get someone to accept my gun, there's a responsibility there. I could try I suppose.

No, my unit is the 061-068 group. There are only 6 NR tags for this hunt.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any FFL should be able to accept it, just like selling a rifle. Then you would just pay shipping and whatever the FFL would charge and not have to worry about not having enough luggage.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

What's an FFL?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:33 AM

FFL = Federal Firearms License
This would be any gun dealer in the area. Check with anybody you mightbe hunting with. They might have one, or may have a friend who does. I Know several guys who have them.
Oe thing to consider though. Federal Law says guns are suppossed to be shipped over night. By the time you ship it, and pay the insureance, and the fees to the dealer both going there, and coming back, you might as well pay the $50 each way for the extra bag. Thats just my opinion though. And of course, that is if you can't find somebody with an FFL that would do it for free.
Also, check the state laws where you are going. I have lived in states where if you receive a gun by mail through a dealer, they are by law required to run the background check before releasing it. I met a guy in Cali at my friend gun shop that won a gun in Wisconsin. It was his. he had it shipped to Cali, and when it got there, he had to do the background check. In TN, if oyu put a gun in Hock (at a pawn shop) to pick it up, you have to provide all the same paperwork you did when you bought it, or what is required by TN law. ( I know, I am in the Army and have had friends pawn a gun for some quick cash, and when they went ot pick it up, they couldn't because that shop would not accept what they had as prooof of residency.
I don't tell you this to scare you from shipping your guns, just to make you aware. Do your homework before you do this ad get a nasty surprise when you get to your destination.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Zim,

I hunt all the time with my muzzy. I can tell you for sure that the gun will count as one. It has to be in a case that is secure and can be locked.You can't take any powder or primers/caps. Also as this is my method of hunting I have ran into about everthing a guy can on travel. Once spilt some powder in a case that contained clothes and other items. Guess what. When they check you those items won't go either. If you have quick loads and they have even a trace of powder you might as well leave them at home. They won't make it either. I have found the best way is to check the rifle and then mail everything else. You will have to buy caps and powder when you get there. You can check with some delivery service in the area. Lots of times they will let you mail the items to them and they will keep them for short periods of time. (clothes, camp gearand such not powder).Most charge only a few dollars for the service.

Goatslayer........
Old 07-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Long guns don't have to be shipped overnight, only handguns. I was thinking, since it is a muzzleloader you should be able to just send it USPS to your hunting partner thier, no reason to go through an FFL.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

heres how id play it.
fill your carry on with your gear, like ya already said. ya have to have the gun in its case, so there goes one bag. in the other, bullets and clothes.

when your done, buy a cooler out west, have your buddy freeze your cape and mail it to you. it will be fine. or do the opposite and take your frozen stuff in the cooler on the plane and mail your clothes home. easy and cheap.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

The powder & caps are no problem. I already contacted a vendor in Elko that can order what I want and have it there when I arrive. Given the fact my gun & case is only about 8# it seems very logical to ship it ahead of me if I can get someone to take it in Elko. This would allow me to bring a full 100# of gear plus my 40# carry on. So I am going to make some calls and see what all my options are, starting with my powder vendor. He may have an opinion.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:05 PM

Hey Zim[&o],seems to me that your really going to have trouble when it involves the weight or what not. I'm a regular hunter and find that when i put all thats needed in front of me and then close my eyes and look at my trip i often see what is not really needed. I've had hunters bring three different type's of footwear just to wear in the boat and two other's for in camp! I see alot of these guests compete on who has more or the best,but never see any further than that! Don't go that way!!Your best answer is 2 sets, 1 for warm,1 for cold, a couple batteries &steel wool for fire,fishing line,hooks,and for your place of sleep? make a lean -to. This is just a bit of whats really needed and i just thought it might put your thoughts in to motion and give you more answer into whats required.I could give you more answers but i'm sure there's going to be more than enough people responding that you'll be able to do the right choices.Have a Great Hunt and May the Spirits guide you!