Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Advice for a hunting trip next fall/winter >

Advice for a hunting trip next fall/winter

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice for a hunting trip next fall/winter

Old 11-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default Advice for a hunting trip next fall/winter

I am currently a freshman in college at Virginia Tech. I have been able to hunt a little bit this year, but only when I go back home to Charlottesville. A couple of friends and myself are trying to plan a hunting trip sometime next year probably around the begining of our Christmas break, which is December 14th. We obviously want to go somewhere where there is not much hunting pressure so we have a good chance a some bucks, but more importantly we are looking to spend some time together in the great outdoors. I wanted to get on this forum and ask any of you guys and gals if you all had any ideas of where we could go to find some good hunting this late in the year. Price is a bit of a concern, but we are all saving up hoping to get to the best spot possible. Also, we are going to try and make some new friends out west or whatnot that might have land to hunt on, and I realize that sounds like we will be using them, believe me its not that way, we are always looking for people with our same interests. Its not hard to find hunters, but it is hard for us to find respectable Christian hunters, so hopefully we might strike up something with a good person and be able to share hunting experiences.

Anyways, if yall have any suggestions on great spots to go hunt, and probably camp out, please let me know.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Advice for a hunting trip next fall/winter

Good thinking Bass! I would consider going to one of the Nat'l Forests in VA. The GW or the TJ would work for you. You can get a topo map and talk to the VDGIF and they could help you pinpoint a place to hunt. The deeper you go, the less hunters you see. I have taken some nice bucks in both. If you are looking to get out of the state and hunt other game, you might look into a hog hunt down south somewhere. You can do that without a bunch of cash at some places. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

any other opinions???
Old 12-01-2006, 02:52 PM

Thats a bad time out west most of the big game seasons are over by then,maybe cous deer in the southwest ,you can camp and hunt for free on the national forest.I'm going to go one of these years .
Old 12-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

You are very close to Maryland. This is the sleeper trophy state in the whole US in my opinion. About the highest P&Y per acre counties in the US. Gets little pub. Some great public land there. That is where I'd head.