Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Arapho National Forest?

Old 05-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arapho National Forest?

How is the Arapho National Forest for big game hunting? I just was wondering about general info on how good the hunting is there?]
Also, is it harder to get a tag for there, since it's a National Forest? Is it OTC for big game? Or is it draw? Anyone hunted there?

I will admit I have a stupid reason for asking if it's a good place to hunt, because I watched "Red Dawn" for the first time the other day, and I saw them shoot a great fake Mule Deer, and I was wondering, I guessed the movie deserved a shot in the dark/whattheheckthread on Hunting.Net.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arapho National Forest?

Now guys, just because I'm asking because I watched Red Dawn isn't a reason to ignore me, one of you did e-mail me, but I will be doing a DIY within' the next 20 years, with my uncle, and I am researching, so I was wondering, how good is the Arapho National Forest for hunting? How hard is it to draw? What I asked you.

Thanks to longknife12 for the e-mail.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

The movie was made mostly in LasVegas NM, and some near Del Norte CO.

Try the NeverSummer Mtns for big game in the Arapaho NF. Find them on aUSGS quadas the locals never heard of them mtns. Most locals are from CA anyway and can only find i70.

And good luck.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weird thing is, the Never Summer Mountains, according to Wikipedia, are a part of a Rocky Mountains NF, but it does mention that it's close to Routt National Forest.

Have you ever actually hunted the Never Summer Mountains? I heard someone say they hunt Routt National Forest, which, if it's close by, may be a good thing, since I hear that elk are rather migratory.

How high is the elevation in comparison to Routt? 'Cause if it's high altitude, I'd bet that it would mostly only be good for early season, since I guess elk move down in elevation once the snow comes.

Thanks for your suggestion.