Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut >

Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

Old 05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

"....I would simply exercise the same self-control required in bowhunting, to limit my shot range and angles...."
Looks like you've answered your own question.
If being "limited" and "just getting by" and "walking away" from straight forward kill opportunities (at least straight forward with a competent elk rifle)are your style, then you're in business and represent the "teeny, weeny bikini" group well [trying to just get by without much].

Of course, the rub comes when the "teeny, weeny bikini" hunter takes a shot on an elk (in defiance of his own code of "ever vigilant and careful restraint") that should have been left to a competent elk rifle and now the tracking job is on. [80% of elk hunters in Colorado are unsuccessful, it is naive to think that success rate doesn't make for some "stretch the envelope" shots towards the end of the 1 week season.]

"....Not sure your logic is 100% correct. If the "big caliber" crew already uses premium bullets and draw the line at 7mag then #3 is not necessarily correct and anyone who disagrees with the conclusioin of #3 does not have a major inconsistancy...."
Many of us havebeen using premium bullets for a loooong time starting with Nosler Partitions and have always strove to come to the elk hunting game putting our best foot forward.

"....I have used noslers for years in all my elk rifles.The nosler has been around for many more years than most of us have hunted and I still think the 270 makes a suckey elk rifle.
BBJ
Yeah, .... that.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM

What about us "Big Caliber Crew" who draw the line at 30 cal., even with premium bullets?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO the new premium bullets have made the 6.5x55, 260, 270 and 280 as well as probably the 25-06 legitimate cartridges for elk and other large deer family critters. Many who really know will argue that they already were but with the Triple Shock and other premium bullets, they are even more suitable. I use Premium Bullets when I think they offer a real advantage over standard offerings. For deer I use the Nosler Ballistic Tip and Sierra Pro-Hunters more than anything else. For Elk and Moose I use the Nosler Partition and sometimes the X bullet or Triple Shock.

These days only Grizzly and other big bears would deter me from using the 270 Winchester. For them, I will break out a 45-70.Probably with Corbon or Garret cartridges or their equivalent.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 PM

All guns are good with good shot placement.
More power is always better though.
I have a problem with some high end bullets though in my new 7mm ultra mag. It is just too fast. 160 grains at 3480fps, 150 3600+, 140 3700+(good coyote prarie dog round, will throw coyotes up into the air).
My 160s for elk were some barnes Tsx and I ripped all four petals off the bullet within 2-3 inches of flesh on anything within 250 yards, accubonds shred like a varmint bullet within 250 yards. Partitions work good though.
maybe you can have too much gun, but it sure seems cool.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:41 AM

Anyone whom doesn't see a difference in the quality bullets made of late an the original 1950s fodder doesn't understand the bonding process. Not knowing why the jacket seperated from the lead after it hit a rib on a deer size animal, content to think ,"it killed the deer/elk so it must be good". A theroy that runs quickly a muck when the shooter tries to use that same caliber/ammo combo on tougher game.
FTR there was a time the .270 was considered the top of the chain for elk and all the gun scribes such as O'connor,Barness,etc. wrote glowing reports on it. To me if Ineedto use bullets to make my 270 an '06 I'd rather just buy an '06 to begin with.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

OR, buy both like I did.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

I appreciate the tongue-in-cheek replies, I was trying to be silly but still make a point. That point, in series:

1) The "big caliber" crew draws the line on elk at 7mm magnum.
2) Premium bullets have come on to the market claiming drastically better bullet performance. If that's true; then
3) Clearly the new "bottom line" for elk, according to the "big caliber" school, should drop below the 7mm magnum. Finally;
4) Anyone in the big caliber crew who disagrees with the conclusion of #3 has got a major logical inconsistency if they have switched to premium bullets. (i.e. What are you paying the extra money for?)

For me, I'd happily take a .243 after elk if I had to, preferably with premium bullets. I would simply exercise the same self-control required in bowhunting, to limit my shot range and angles. If I put 100 grains of bullet into an elk's lungs, it's dead. And then some.
Dirt2, goodthread it made me laugh.....and think about this a bit as well.I'll admit that the new premium bullets give me pause as to which cartridges would be adequate for elk nowadays. While the biggest reason I'm not a .270 fan is I feel the bullet is too light at a max of 150 grs I will concede that it is POSSIBLE that withthe newpremium bullets the 150 grainers may hold up better on thick skin and bone compared to the olderpremium bullets. I have to admit without seeing how they perform in the field I can't say for sure, although my opinion probably wouldn't change. If nothing else but just to be consistent.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 160 grain 270 Nosler Partition will flat out take any elk on the planet. Great sectional density and penetrating ability. Of course on todays elk my 405 Winchester is probably way to light as well.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

For me, I'd happily take a .243 after elk if I had to, preferably with premium bullets. I would simply exercise the same self-control required in bowhunting, to limit my shot range and angles. If I put 100 grains of bullet into an elk's lungs, it's dead. And then some.

We had a thread about it a long time ago, maybe you should post a thread in the Big Game section, you'd get lots of interesting responses.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Beartooth375

The .375 H&H is the greatest cartridge for hunting large game in existence, no question about it. It has killed more elephants and cape buffalo then all dangerous game cartridges combined. And yes, in a pinch, it could handle Jabba The Hutt
You may be right about the .375 H&H, but I'd like to know where your information comes from, as I have never seen an exhaustive compilation of statistics on what calibers have beenmost used in Africa since firearms were first used to kill rhino, Cape Buffalo, elephant, hippo, lion and leopard. A great many such beasts have been slain with large bore, rouind-ball firing muzzleloaders, as well as cartridge arms. I suspect you'd be surprised to know how much big/dangerous game whas been killed with the lowly .303 British!

Quick Reply: Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.