Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut >

Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

We've all seen the inevitable weekly post that starts the 2,000 pages of responses where everyone repeats the same opinion they've put down the past 10,000 times the same question was asked. It being a quiet time, I thought I'd try a new spin on this topic.

How do the new premium bullets (Swift Sciroccos, Nosler Accubonds, Barnes Tripleshocks, etc.) affect the question? Specifically I'm addressingthe 300 WinMag-or-bust for elk crowd, those of you who think we 270 shooters are e-ville (Austin Powers reference, there). Do the new premium bullets give you pause to reconsider your previous opinions? Do you ever reconsider any opinions?

If you will not allow that premium bullets have changed the landscape a bit, then let me ask two more questions? Are you using premium bullets in your miracle shoulder cannon? If so, why?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

Old 180 or 200 grn. Core-Lokt soft points in my .300 Win Mag and I'll take on anything on the planet, Jabba the Hut included! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Gonna take it over to the thousand yard rangenext week,now that I've got time to play, and stretch it out someto check some trajectories.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used noslers for years in all my elk rifles.The nosler has been around for many more years than most of us have hunted and I still think the 270 makes a suckey elk rifle.
BBJ
Old 05-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jack....SUCKEY...??............

I haven't heard THATterm since my daughter was 14....hehehehe...

You're correct about the noslers being around for a long time... They pre date ME and I'm one of the OLD FARTS on this forum......
Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if they used a .270 Barnes TSX, 150 grain, that oughta' do it, since people use 140 grain 7mm Rem Mag Barnes TSX on elk, but, for Jabba The Hutt, I would use the PPSH, he'll be tickled to death.....
Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 PM

The .375 H&H is the greatest cartridge for hunting large game in existence, no question about it. It has killed more elephants and cape buffalo then all dangerous game cartridges combined. And yes, in a pinch, it could handle Jabba The Hutt
Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

We have lots of 30-06's. I mostly shoot the old Win Silvertip ammo in 150 or 180 in all of them for all big game. I've loaded a ton of these in 220gr also in case I ever get back to AK or encounter Bigfoot again in unit 71.

We also shoot a lot of cheap green box Rem CorLokt 150. They work well.

I'm not into paying 39.99 a box for ammo with 'premium' bullets, unless its to get a higher BC/lower CDso it shoots flatter faster. For my new BLR 7RemMag elk rifle I'll prolly go with the Swift Sciroccos in Hornady ammo just to get the max flatness out of the gun-cal.

But other than that I think the 'premium' bullet stuff is just so much marketing BS. Just to keep it goin I think the same (m...BS) of the twisty hunk of steel on the end of rifle barrels, of grooved anything on the outside of a rifle, of shooting sticks( yeah hell I carry my own rifle too), and 55mm scope lenses.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I appreciate the tongue-in-cheek replies, I was trying to be silly but still make a point. That point, in series:

1) The "big caliber" crew draws the line on elk at 7mm magnum.
2) Premium bullets have come on to the market claiming drastically better bullet performance. If that's true; then
3) Clearly the new "bottom line" for elk, according to the "big caliber" school, should drop below the 7mm magnum. Finally;
4) Anyone in the big caliber crew who disagrees with the conclusion of #3 has got a major logical inconsistency if they have switched to premium bullets. (i.e. What are you paying the extra money for?)

For me, I'd happily take a .243 after elk if I had to, preferably with premium bullets. I would simply exercise the same self-control required in bowhunting, to limit my shot range and angles. If I put 100 grains of bullet into an elk's lungs, it's dead. And then some.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dirt2
Not sure your logic is 100% correct. If the "big caliber" crew already uses premium bullets and draw the line at 7mag then #3 is not necessarily correct and anyone who disagrees with the conclusioin of #3 does not have a major inconsistancy.
Now if #1 read the "big caliber" crew who uses the regular Corelokts draw the line on elk at 7mag, then your logical progression may in fact hold true.

. yes i'm being a smartbutt
Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

["For me, I'd happily take a .243 after elk if I had to, preferably with premium bullets. I would simply exercise the same self-control required in bowhunting, to limit my shot range and angles. If I put 100 grains of bullet into an elk's lungs, it's dead. And then some."]

As I have mentioned many times here and on Realtree forums seen quite a few fotos ofCO teens women andyoung people with huge bull elk killed with a 243 rifle. In CO it is decidedly NOT uncommon. Admittedly it isnt my choice, but if its the only gun I had available to use I'd go get me a box of Hornday Light Magnums for it and hunt til I dropped. This idea of "sub-calibre" comes from magazines whose job it is to stir controversy and sell more magazines which dont necessarily help get the brown on the ground.

Good luck to y'all with whatever rifle you choose to use.

Quick Reply: Caliber for Elk/Bear/Elephant/JabbatheHut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.