Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

wall tents

Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Spike

Default wall tents

hello,
I was wondering if anyone has purchased a wall tent from davis tents. Just wondering if anyone had any problems. I bought the traditional poles with it.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wall tents

You've got a good wall tent.
Stop worrying.
Go back to Davis and get the medium size cylinder stove.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Just take care of it properly and you will be happy with it! You will get lots of use out of it and it's very low maintanence.
Most important rule......Never store it wet or damp. IF you have to leave camp with it wet or in the snow, just unpack it upon getting back and allow it dry completely before storing it!!!

And I wise man once told me.......any tent is better with a tarp over it!!
I would say a very wise man, but he has mentioned that he drinks "cognac" around the camp fire? I have done some research, and what ever "cognac" is, it isn't manufactured in either Kentucky or Tennessee!!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Spike

Thanks EKM and Red
I will probally have to set it back up when i get home, it seems like it rains every day the 2nd week in archery.Will a regular tarp work for a rainfly,the ones they sell seem nice but are a little pricey.Ekm did the stakes( they look like nails that are 12 inches long ) work ok?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Ekm did the stakes( they look like nails that are 12 inches long ) work ok?"
With the traditional pole set up (yours) the conduit pieces drop over the "nails" that tack down the bottom of your tent at the sod cloth juncture and then they have the eye "bolt" assembly that drops in fromthe top end, you need the nails stakes for that particular aspect of the set up. I like the nails and use them for lots of different things (so I have bought extra).

HOWEVER, when it comes to the stakes that the guy ropes tension against, I like some choices.
-- soft dirt, 12-14" plastic stakes
-- medium dirt, 6" plastic stakes
-- hard dry dirt (or lots of rocks): steel nails at 45 degrees so the rope won't slip off.
FYI, you can't have "too many" stakes on hand.

Poly tarp beats nothing for a rain fly, I've done it, but an ember WILL burn a hole thru it in each spot it touches.
If "lightning strikes the same place twice," then .... well.... somewhat problematic --- did you get the fire-resistant treatment?

Very important is to put down a poly tarp floor (or better) and "nail" it down with landscaping staples (watch out for your sod cloth, though).
Old 03-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Spike

Ekm, Yes the tent is fire treated. Actually i wasn't going to get it, changed my mind at last min. . Do you bury your sod cloth to keep wind out? Sorry for all the questions(thanks for your time) I just want to make sure i have everything covered.