Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wall Tents

Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wall Tents

i wanted to see if anybody has any tips on wall tents. i looking to buy my first tent very soon and i was wondering what kind of options or extras that maybe someone has found to be very helpful. if you have any advice on tents or a good company to buy fromi would appreciate any info.

i have been looking at davis tent out of colorado. i have heard good things about them but i am still considering all my options. has anybody had any experience with davis?

-Sean
Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 PM

Default RE: Wall Tents

sean i have a few wall tents mine are from yakima tent. i wouls say go no smaller than 14x16 cause evan with only two guys with all gear room fills up fast no matter how organized u are.as far as options go i have a zippered screen door in front along with the regular door makes for nice in warmer weather keeping the bugs out. also zippered windows in the side wall are great. stove hole out the roof dont like much the ones out the door have seen some tents catch fire from that style.i also had frames made for mine for times when not packing in anywhere makes for quick set up i can have my tent set up in about 5 minutes with one guy helping tad longer by myself. hope this helps.
Darrell
Old 04-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

We have a couple of the Montana Canvas wall tents and are very pleased. You buy from a reputable place like Davis, and you will be fine. The size is the most important decision you will make. Not too many complain that they wished they bought a size smaller.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 12 x 16 Reliable Tent with 5' walls. I avoided the internal frame as the traditional pole system is lighter (and cheaper)and can be easier to set up on uneven ground. The tent leaked at the seams which was not good. They sent me a can of sealer at no charge I have not had it in the rain to see if it still leaks. I would recommend that you get lightweight cots high enough off the ground to store gear under the bed, this will work wonders for tent space. I bought waterproof duffle bags that are used in canoesto store gear in. www.sierratradingpost.com That way you dont worry about storing them under the cot. We had 4 hunters and a stove and things worked out well. Mildew and rot resistance are an absolute must and fire resistance is required in some states. You did not mention a stove but I would highley recommend one. They are available at less than 20 lbs and are nice not just for the heat which is obvious butours kept things bone dry (even after the leak) and extremely comfortable.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the input guys. i think i have my size figured out, and i already have a couple of good cots that allow for storage. i will be getting a stove but i probably wont worry about that until closer to fall.

my biggest problem i have now i think is deciding on a frame system. i know there are pros and cons to both. i was worried about setting up on uneven ground which i figured the traditional would bebest but i have heard the internal frame will in most cases extend the life of the tent.

what do you guys prefer?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 PM

i have both internal and external and for ease of setting up i prefer the internal but my external is actualy light weight and cut down small enough to pack if need be.
scott as far as sealer goes i use that canvas sealer out of cabelas and it works awesom treat every other year keeps the tent white and seals up very well.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Bravo is the manufacturer I used. I spent many years researching and found them to be one of the best if not the best. I have4 seasons on the tent without a problem.
I added extra D rings to the back at mid wall height. That way if I was set up in very windy areas it kept the walls from flapping. I also opted for a snow slide. It allows the snow to slide off easily and also makes the tent heat a little easier. Brass zippers work best. They do not corrode or break. Use a little wax on them to keep them slidding smooth. I set the tent up intitially and sprayed it with water so the canvas would shrink and close up the thread holes. This was recommended by the manufacturer. I have spent two days in a row where it rained solid and the tent did not leak.
http://www.bravomfg.com/

Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 AM

Could someone post a picture or a link to reference the frame styles. I know whatan internal frame is, just not sure of the traditional and external. I've got a tent, just don't have a frame yet.
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Are you going to camp with vehicle access, or pack in? That would be the deciding factor on frame type/style for me. We have a drive up main camp, so use an internal frame made out of square tubing. A little heavy to mess with, but never have to worry about snow/wind causing problems.... short of a tornado!
Make sure, as mentioned by another post, to set up before using it for the proper break-in, per manufacturer's advice. Like he said, will shrink the thread holes etc. We have used them for several years now with no issues.

If you haven't done so already. Do a search for Wall Tents in this forum and/or search for threads by Elkampmaster. He has/had lots of good advice on setting them up that will save you some time/issues later. Such as putting a tarp down as the floor. We actually have some 1x material attached around the outside of the frame. The fasten the tent walls to the boards. We attach the tarp floor up the inside of the boards. Keeps any water/snow melt that gets under the walls from getting anything wet in the tent. Another good idea, if possible is to tie a tarp over the tent as a fly. I quote EKM..."any tent is a better tent with a tarp over it". True that.

Be glad to offer up advice and tips that we have used sucessfully. Caveat is that we appear to be more like "squatters" than campers. Light, convenient and easy are not used in our method. The tent stoves (3) we use weigh over a hundred pounds a piece. I am stopping there as the ridicule will be raining down if get to far in to detail about the "over-kill" camp we setup.

Good luck with the tent.....they are like a good woman. Treat it right and take care of it, and maybe it won't run away with a guy who has more money than you and is better looking!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

1. Floor, either the manufacturer's or a poly tarp tacked down with landscpaing staples.

2. Rain fly, adds insulation and protects tent from embers from wood buring stove.

3. Make sure you have ventilation at each end of the tent, two doors or a door and a window; if you have a wood stove, it is just a matter of time before you screw up and need to get the smoke out of the tent and end to end cross ventilation is the key.

4. Wood burning stove: fire that baby up at home and cure the paint and oxidize the galvinizing in the flue, you DON'T want to do that while you are living in that tent, yuck!

5. Wood burning stove: make sure you take some newspapers with you for starting, or our favorite corn cobs and kerosene.

6. Have all your stuff and load it up once a month before you are leaving.

7. An outhouse tent with a potty chair over a nice deep hole is is a real nice addition and don't cost much. Put a propane lantern on a short propane tree and it takes the edge of off freezing morning trips to the outhouse.... first guy just leaves it on.

Some of this makes a difference whether you are talking spike camp or main camp alongsidethe road.

Quick Reply: Wall Tents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.