Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What would you choose?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:14 AM

Default What would you choose?

I was thinking about it as I was sharpening my favorite pocket knife tonight...what would I choose...if I only got to pick on accessory to my hunting gear, and only one.

So, let's say you had the bare minimum....clothes, boots, firearm, basic ammo, basic knife, matches,no extras other than that though....and that's it. If you had one choice, and one choice only which would you pick.

1. Premium Ammunition
2. Fine Binoculars
3. Elite Scope for the rifle
4. High speed GPS system
5. High Grade Knife w/ good diamondstone that is carrying size
6. Powerful Spotting Scope
7. Emergency Kit with food and water
8. Higher quality gloves, socks, and boots

Let's say you were elk hunting in timbered country. Some clear cuts, but mostly timbered land, that you have chopped up visual and line of sightranging from 10 yards to 80 yards. You have scouted, but were not raised in the area. You have spotted some spectacular animals with large bodies on your scouting trip. You are planning on only hunting for a few hoursand you are starting your trip in Mid October in the morning. Forecast is forsunny skys and warm weather. Hunters seem to get lost in the area every year, and S and R teams are familiar with the area.

Let's have some fun with this!!! I wish I knew how to do the polls, if someone wants to build this into one, or tell me how to do it, that would be cool!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you choose?

i dunno 'bout ya'll northern hunters BUT here in the South...you better have a ThermaCell on that "required" list of hunting gear.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 AM

I'll take number 7 first, then 6 .The rest are just up grades.

[/align]
Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I were you, I'd take that equipment you posted in the other thread. You know, the one standing on the four wheeler...

Oh yeah, and the GPS and a good map of the area...
Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

7. One just has to have water, food is nice but not as necessary, emergency kit could be good, but not as key as water.

If you are saying we are carrying water, then

4. High Speed (?) GPS system

If you are saying we already have a plan jane GPS system and a compass, then

Back to 7 for the emergency kit part.

High end bullets, equipment, etc. are nice but the first mission is to emerge from the woods and get back into camp on time and in good shape daylight or dark. I was going to insist on a headlamp or mini-mag, but that wasn't in your list of basics so I'm letting it go.

The elk can always wait until another day in the light of that safety standard. I do NOT want to be talking to the local search and rescue team!

Elk Country tends to beb-i-g and walking into and out of ones "prime area" is typically done in the dark [or the day before](at least for us).
Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 AM

You said have fun with this . . .

So my first choice would be Pamela Anderson and a bottle of Quervo.

Shade in the summer . . . And friction heat in the winter!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

I'm gonna go with the GPS. I cover a lot of ground in a day in elk country and hunt dark to dark, so I'm walking into and out of the woods in the dark. Sure is easier if all you have to do is follow an arrow on the GPS screen.