Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 If you could choose... >

If you could choose...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

If you could choose...

Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default If you could choose...

OK guys, I'm looking for your input. If you could choose between the Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket and the Beman Black Max Elite MFX, which would you? Why?

I didn't include other carbon shafts such as the Easton Axis or Epic because it appears that the Black Max Elite MFX has just about the best tolerances that I can find when it comes to all-carbon construction.

I didn't include the A/C Superslims because it appears the Full Metal Jacket is being touted as Easton's top offering.

So... I guess I'm trying to decide betwen a composite in the Axis FMJ and the all-carbon construction. Here's my preliminary thoughts:

I would think that spine tolerances would be better with the Axis, and I would possibly experienc easier extraction out of 3-D targets...

The Axis shafts actually only have a guaranteed straightness of +/- .003, while the Bemans are .001; that's actually surprising to me. I would think the addition of the aluminum would help enhance its straightness, for some reason.

I would also think the Axis shafts would be susceptible to bending. I know the "it's either straight or broken" theory is somewhat of a fallacy (thanks to reading some of Len's postings), but for the most part, I do like the fact that I can't "bend" the Beman like I can the Axis...

Any other thoughts? Experiences? Criteria or points of consideration that I'm missing?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Default RE: If you could choose...

Just my $.02 here greg but just from listen to others no personal experience I think the ACC Superlite or the AC Super Slims would be your best choice but that is if price makes no difference
Old 08-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Price makes no difference... I don't even know which of these two is the more expensive at this moment, though I'm assuming it would be the Axis Full Metal Jacket... It seems to me that Easton thinks its Axis FMJ is a better shaft than its A/C Superslim -- or maybe its just newer and they've devoted more of a concerted marketing effort to it. I'm not sure.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure you could get the axis in .001 they just don't offer it, the Bemans just are separated that way and the one's that don't cut the mustard are sold differently. Still for the price I think they should be top of the line and that's .001 and better. Kind of makes you wonder if there's much of a difference and subsequently worth spending the extra cash. I do like the finish on the ICS Hunters I have. The 340's were recommended but I think they are a bit stiffer than slightly stiff. Something to keep in mind if you choose the Beman's. The ICS Hunter elites are supposed to be .001 also. I'm waiting for some of those.

About as scientific as I can get. I can say this though. The nocks on the Hunters come installed, they are so tight I thought they were glued in. You can't turn them with your hand. Fortunately I had a nock tool from Gold Tip.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:04 PM

Greg, I don't have any personal experience w/ the Beman's you mention, but we've done quite a bit of testing w/ the FMJ's at the shop. They are....well.....I don't like them myself. They weren't as durable as the Axis, and we didn't get the penetration either. They were very accurate though.

I know A/C/C weren't one of your choices, but I would choose them over the FMJ any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks buddy. Yep, real-life experience is very much appreciated.

Actually, I'm already shooting A/C/Cs, but I'm really liking the slimmer shaft/thicker wall concept for improved penetration. Since I'm shooting a fallaway, I was thinking that the diameter of the shaft really isn't going to affect rest/fletching contact, so I might as well get the best penetration possible. It seemed these shafts might deliver that.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Greg, this is just my personal observation. Easton's website and advertising does hightly tout the FMJ, but it is of my opinion that its because its a new offering and they really push the fact that with the aluminum cladding it will pull easier from 3D/broadhead targets. Other than that I cannot see any reason why or how it would be considered better than the ACC or A/C Superslim, maybe as good? Having said that I am biased toward the A/C Superslims(see signature).
Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg, weren't you really considering getting the Bemans earlier (like about a month ago, if I recall correctly)?

What made you go with the A/C SuperSlims?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

What made you go with the A/C SuperSlims?

Greg, weren't you really considering getting the Bemans earlier (like about a month ago, if I recall correctly)
I already had a 1/2 dozen Beman Black Max(not the Elite), and I was satisfied with them. When I bought my son a like new Mathews Q2XL from an inlaw I gave him the Bemans and bought myself a new dozen A/C Superslims. A few reasons I went with the Superslims, I had never owned any aluminum/carbon arrows before.........it was either aluminum OR carbon. (2) Aussie-guy talked me into it after a few PMs with him.[8D] (3)I like the fact that the Xnocks and the HIT inserts are inserted into the aluminum tube instead of carbon. Maybe none of those are good reasons[8D]. I could still shoot the Beman Black Max(with the same spine the weight is very near the same) and be just as happy I am sure, but I really like the A/C's.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:05 AM

I think ANY arrow mentioned on this thread is absolute overkill for hunting - and will perform flawlessly........

With that said..........they are all to heavy for me

I think any choice you make will be a step down from what you are shooting..............

And do you really thing the 2 or 3/64's difference in thickness will ever make a difference in penetrating Game??

Quick Reply: If you could choose...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.