Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need a new bow - what to choose...? >

need a new bow - what to choose...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need a new bow - what to choose...?

Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 PM

Default need a new bow - what to choose...?

hey fellas, i need some opinions on something. i currently have a bow that i bought for like 100$ at a pawn shop. since i atleast have a bow, i wanted to get a Xbow for my bday present bc they seemed cool.but when i got to DICKS, i realized Xbows were pretty expensive, like450 bucks for adecent one. so then i started lookin atthe bows they got, and started to realize that there much cheaper and i should get a brand new bow, instead of a Xbow. so i told my dad i would ask u guys on here ur opinions and then we'd go get one this weekend. so, what is a good, stable reliable bow for about$350. - giveor take.what bow would you personally buy if u had a bday present of urchoice. i know its a vage request, but any opinions are welcomed, thanks alot.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need a new bow - what to choose...?

I would look around on ebay. I purchased a brand new mathews MQ32 of ebay two years ago that was never shot. Some guy won it at an auction and the draw length was to short for him. Got it for $300. Look for a one or two year old quality newer matthews or hoyt on ebay.My opinion.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

reflex highlander 350 bare. smooth, accurate, user friendly. i love mine. robinhooded an arrow the first day with it..first day EVER shooting a bow. im now getting deadly at 25-30yds. 10-20 im cuttin bullseyes and i just started shooting friday! goto a shop and take a few in your price range for a test shot. i might only be shooting 260fps but theres no noise or vibration. ill give up velocity for that any day!
Old 08-07-2006, 04:20 PM

For the money, you GOTTA look at the Reflex line. Like my ole buddy mauser said, the Highlander is an excellent choice. Dollar for dollar, it is simply the BEST bow in production right now. Another excellent choice would be the Reflex Excursion. Not quite as fast or as nice, but about 100 bucks less expensive.

Bottom line, set your price and stick w/ it. Then, shoot EVERY bow in that range you can get your hands on. The one you want will litterally jump out at you.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:27 PM

shoot em all in the price range your looking in some shops even have used bows i got my parker all set up for 250 used it works great buy what feels good
Old 08-07-2006, 04:43 PM

I agree shoot as many types & brands as you can. there is a difference with thehigh end bows ,but any bow out there will take game. buy what fits your shooting style and not what it says on the limbs!! Good luck I went in to by a Mathews and left with a Hoyt...
Old 08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

the excursion is really a sweet shooting bow
Old 08-07-2006, 06:45 PM

fred bear line of bows!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:51 PM

if you think about is it really worth spending $500 on a top of the line bow when you could buy a bow that shoots just as well but doesnt have the name that the other one does... is it worth it? maybe. it all depends on the shooter. if you have the best bow and you cant shoot it at all whats the point of having the best bow? if you can hit the vitals each time you shoot with the bow you have why buy and brand new one?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would say the reflex line great