Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 If you could choose one? >

If you could choose one?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

If you could choose one?

Old 12-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you could choose one?

If you could choose one rifle what would it bee? Would it be a Tikka T-3 Laminated, or a Ruger Mk11, Wichester Model 70, Browning A-Bolt, or a CZ-550. What would you choose and why. Also id there anythig wrong with the tikkas one size fits all action. Just curious. I need to decide on what i wnat for christmas. I will get one in .223, and one in .270. Thanks for everything
Old 12-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: If you could choose one?

All of the rifles you have listed are of good quality. Advice on buying a rifle is good but you need to buy the rifle that fits you best. I would handle all of these rifles and purchase the one that fits the best. Work the action and try the trigger. Some of the rifles you list have adjustable triggers and some don't. A gunsmith can improve the trigger pull on any rifle. The only rifle you list that I have a small concern over is the CZ. I believe them to be good quality it just seems the bolt travel is a little rough on most that I have handled.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a Winchester Model 70. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:23 AM

CZ!
Old 12-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Of the ones you listed. I would pick the Winchester. Of the ones you did'nt list, I'd pick a Rem 700.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Remington 700.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The ruger hands down!!! They have awesome rifles!!!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:50 PM

I have a CZ550, among others, and what you say about a slightly rough bolt travel seems to apply to my rifle. The trigger pull is a bit creepy also, but is not so bad that I would even bother removing the stock to adjust it.

Having said that, I would probably still choose my CZ as my only rifle (if I could only have one) based on the controlled feed, Mauser claw extractor, pillar bedding, floated barrel and incredible out of box accuracy (mine is 6.5x55 which tend to be intrinsically accurate.) However, if my Model 70 Featherweight was one of the newer Classics with the Mauser claw I might think differently. And having said THAT, ain't NOBODY getting my Remington 700 rifles away from me either.

The only bolt action hunting rifle I have ever been disappointed with was my Ruger M77 MkII .30-06. I finally dumped it last month. It was a beautiful rifle with many fine features, but after trigger work, bedding and countless handloads it would not group consistently. One group would be 3.5"+, the very next group with the exact same reloads would be 5/8"[>:]. It drove me crazy. If that darned thing would have behaved itself I would never ever have picked another rifle up as long as I lived but it sure drove me nuts. I guess every gun maker can turn out a lemon once in awhile.

ONE RIFLE??? MY GOODNESS, WHAT AN AWFUL THOUGHT!!![:@]

ORIGINAL: Superpig

All of the rifles you have listed are of good quality. Advice on buying a rifle is good but you need to buy the rifle that fits you best. I would handle all of these rifles and purchase the one that fits the best. Work the action and try the trigger. Some of the rifles you list have adjustable triggers and some don't. A gunsmith can improve the trigger pull on any rifle. The only rifle you list that I have a small concern over is the CZ. I believe them to be good quality it just seems the bolt travel is a little rough on most that I have handled.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:09 PM

Funny you post this up, as this is the quest I am on. Rather certain I have settled on the Tikka T3 Laminated Stainless in .270 WSM
If I had more money than I knew what to do with I suppose I'd go Sako.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jmfa1957

The only bolt action hunting rifle I have ever been disappointed with was my Ruger M77 MkII .30-06. I finally dumped it last month. It was a beautiful rifle with many fine features, but after trigger work, bedding and countless handloads it would not group consistently. One group would be 3.5"+, the very next group with the exact same reloads would be 5/8"[>:]. It drove me crazy. If that darned thing would have behaved itself I would never ever have picked another rifle up as long as I lived but it sure drove me nuts. I guess every gun maker can turn out a lemon once in awhile.
I second that !!
I bought a Ruger M77 MkII .30-06, a few years ago. It was stainless w/ laminated stock. Beautiful gun, but it was SO SO inconsistant. I tried tons of factory loads, hand loads, nothing worked. I thought I had one fat lemon, but it's comforting to know I was not the only one.

Quick Reply: If you could choose one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.