Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY...OF HUNTERS... >

DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY...OF HUNTERS...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY...OF HUNTERS...

Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

NICELY said!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Spike

I come from a dysfunctional family with lots of problems... And I have tendancies to break laws... So I guess I'm a criminal... The reason it happens this way is because kids from those families aren't taught right or wrong and they enter teenage years with little or no direction... So that means a 13yr old who doesnt know right and wrong meets a 17yr old who is doing armed robberies or drugs or whatever, 13yr old starts hanging with them and soon gets into the same things and it escalates from there..
Ultimate African Mango
Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Spike

I am pro hunting 120% and promote good ethics to people around me but that doesn't neccesarliy mean I agree with your way of hunting. I am allowed to have an opinion. I can find fault as in all other aspects of life and I don't like some things shoved down my throat making me accept it and I'm not going into High Fence hunting and Crossbowers calling themselves bowhunters, doghunting and the use of bait,ect. so I'll shut up.

phan mem seo ,phan mem seo ,phan mem seo ,phan mem seo ,phan mem dang tin
Old 09-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Spike

you should right a book! LOL

Old 10-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Spike

I will agree that we are a family. I have been hunting for over 30 years. As far as ethics go I learned them from my Grandfather. One thing I was taught that there are different styles of hunting for different areas and different species.

So this being said. How guys hunt and what traditions are in the south will differ from what guys in the north do and use. Not that any of them are better or worse than the other.

I would also be open to learning how different people hunt different parts of the country. You never know if something you try may just work better that what you are doing now.

There is several lifetimes worth of knowledge on this forum. We can all learn something if we just open our minds a bit. Just my two cents worth.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Spike

with the current state of affairs within our own ranks of sporting arms industry,,,,,,,,,,,the more we shoot our mouths off in public without thinking carefully about what we want or should say is going to cost us,,,,,,,,,,,a sports writer,,,,,,,,,,should be open to new ideas all the time,,,,,,tradition is a wonderful thing,,,,,,,,,,but we do not live in a perfect world,,,,,,,,,,,peoples choice is the Norm,,,,,,,,,,whatever you hunt,target practice or whatever is their own choices,let the people choose...........

Last edited by Alice748; 11-12-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Spike

This is a great thread and there are a lot of great points made by most posters and one who does not seem to get the point. The only thing that I would add is do not engage yourself in a debate with fellow hunters for participating in any method unless you really have the facts, it makes you look ignorant to those that do and puts a bad light on all of us.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Spike

Agree with you.... You are saying right... Same thinking to me about this post.....
Originally Posted by Fuzzyballs44
I'm new to these forums, but I'm not new to the woods/hunting culture by any means.

In my 25 years I have spent thousands of hours in the rockies....and thousands more wishing I was on the mountain.

What I don't understand is why members of my culture are turning on each other. When we criticize our family"™s methods, all we are doing is giving our ultimate enemies who include the anti-hunters/extremist activists/pro-wolf/anti-gun ammunition to throw back at us and hurt us.

Instead of pointing the finger at each other, we need to understand that even though we personally would not want to perform certain practices, like baiting or hound hunting, we will stand behind our brothers and sisters that do because our passions are the same.

I do believe we should discuss things and opinions in our development and maintenance as a community....but I do not believe that we should attack one another with non-constructive verbal bashings. If we continue battles among ourselves with this non-constructive fighting, we can expect to get flanked and taken down in our weekend state by the extremists that want us shut down!

We are hunters because it is a way of our life. We live for the crisp autumn air slipping through our nostrils as we watch the first light creep over the mountain top which reveals a peaceful doe nibbling her way down to a turning and bubbling stream.

We are fighting the hardest battle sportsmen have ever encountered right now. The reason that the wolf got slipped in under our noses is because of the lack of education behind hunting and the lack of solid support from the entire hunting community.

I am ashamed and truly sorry that I attacked a family member when he expressed his ideas....I'm sorry for this Andrew (see the post about baiting bears) and I can assure you that I will stand behind you because you are a fellow hunter. However, I feel that you too should adjust your comments to form constructive conflict instead of accusing your brothers and sisters of being lazy or unethical in their practices.

We need to stand together and look our adversaries in the eyes....knowing full well that we will support each other as a community and family through everything we are fighting right now. I havea deep and richlove for and respect for the animals and the vast terrain I call my back yard. Because my passion and love for hunting is so strong; I also love my huge family of hunters that are scattered around this amazing country! We share the same culture and I am honored to be a part of so much experience and so many life changing stories from the hunting community. From forums, small town cafes, local sporting good stores to the shooting range; we all have something to respect and learn from each other. If you don't realize this, then you should be ashamed of yourself. If you attack another hunter, you should realize you are hurting our entire family.

We may be dysfunctional, but we need to stand arm in arm in the up and coming battles....or we will all have to turn to a life without something most of us can't see us living without!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Since "hunters" are a minority within a minority, "we" need to consider the image we project onto the rest of society which does not hunt and which is not firearms owning, "they" who are the majority.

Their view of us, whether true or untrue, is going to determine the outcome of whether we may continue to "hunt" in America, since "they" are a majority and "we" are a minority.

Their majority is sensitive to certain issues that they see as "abusive" among "hunters."

Killing for "sport" alone is one of those things that is "offensive" to them.

Ergo, it makes the most sense to "hunt" for that which you plan to eat yourself. Not which you "could" eat but that which you "will" eat.

That's the first critical point that the "hunting community" needs to fully understand and comprehend.

Killing "anything that moves" is another one of those things that is offensive to the non-hunting and non-firearms-owning community. Particularly in view of the biological science evidence that suggests that ALL species are valuable to the ecology. For example, coyote and bobcat populations keep rodent and vermine populations down. Rodents and vermine carry plague. Ergo coyotes and bobcats are valuable to the environment.

Killing for "trophies" alone is yet another of those things that is offensive to them. This however is less of an issue in the USA than in Africa. Yet someone who travels to Africa to engage in this kind of hunting is creating ill will among the non-hunting non-firearms-owning majority in the USA.

I suggest we all reconsider our own actions with our firearms, and try to project a positive favorable image among the whole population.

I am a meat hunter, and although I do not feel that meat hunting is currently at risk in the USA, I have to constantly explain to others who do not hunt that (1) I do not kill "predators," (2) I do not shoot anything that moves, and (3) I do not trophy hunt at all.

As the temple at Delphi in Greece says, "Know Thyself."

Are you truly a principled hunter? Or are you really just a psycho with a gun?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Dude, thats some serious penmanship there buddy, you should right a book! LOL

Ya got a point though...
Lol yeah I agree, It seems that its the longest thread here in the forum. But a great post.