Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum >

Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum

Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

I think he did ...but does his 9 word post demand his public flogging??? I see no difference..... he wrote it should we demand his exile..his job...his reputation. You decide...be fair give him as much credit as you gave Zumbo.
Zumbo's ill-informed rant was not the result of a typographical error. And, Zumbo is a world renowned outdoor writer whose words carry extra weight and extra responsibility and whose words are already being used by antis in support of a new AWB.

I may have been ill "imformed" about inform but not about my opinion ofAR and such, you have yours I have mine. There is a big difference between a Mdl 1100 and and AR15 in my informed opinion
Right. One's a shotgun. One's a rifle. Let's compare apples to apples. Many states have 5 round magazine limitations for hunting rifles. How would an AR-15 with a 5 round magazine be any different from a Remington Model 742 chambered for the same caliber? Or would you ban the 742(and the 740, the 7400, etc., etc.) as well? (Keep in mind, the Remington semi-autos have been an extremely popular hunting rifle since the 40's or 50's, and have millinons have been sold. Similarly, the Browning BAR is a very popular hunting rifle).

We know your stance as regards use of AR's in hunting. What is your stanceas regards the underlying 2nd Amendment issue? Do you feel we shouldn't be allowed to own them at all?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

ya know for all the good he has done for the outdoors how can we shun him for one wrong, 2 wrongs dont make a right, wehave all made mistakes, if anyone here says they havent than their full of crap....I personally feel bad and if his words are from the heart well lets give him a break, he may not be the greatest guy on earth but he has spent his life doing what he and all of us love, thats got to count for something....
Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

I think he did ...but does his 9 word post demand his public flogging??? I see no difference..... he wrote it should we demand his exile..his job...his reputation. You decide...be fair give him as much credit as you gave Zumbo.

I may have been ill "imformed" about inform but not about my opinion ofAR and such, you have yours I have mine. There is a big difference between a Mdl 1100 and and AR15 in my informed opinion
Zumbo made his bed, now he has to lay in it! I was not in favor of taking his livelyhood overa mistake. But, Jim had to realize that he was high profile. Someone who has risen to the level of notorietythat he had, has to understand the enormous responsibility associated with it. If he had those opinions he should not of expressed them unless he was willing to face the consequences.

You are entitled to your opinion. Even though I believe that your opinion is based more on emotion than fact, you are entitled. My opinion was not much different than yours until I actually used an AR15 on a Prairie Dog shoot.

I my humble opinion there is no room for compromise when it comes to our 2nd admendment rights. I remember a few years back that the NRA came out against the ban on teflon coated bullets. In my opinion these bullets where good for nothing other than penetrating bullet proof vests. I still am of that opinion. I was apalled that the NRA, an organization I had supported for years, would come out to support these "cop killer" bullets. I even wrote a letter to the president of the NRA, explaining that I was not renewing my membership due to their stand on the "cop killers". In response I recieved a very long letter, stating that (paraphrasing) the NRA was sorry to be losing my suport but they couldn't let them get even their toes in the door. That it wouldn't stop with the teflon coated bullets that once the gates where open they would attack every thing.

It took 5 years, but I finally realized that they where correct. The AWB and the Brady bill did nothing to slow crime it only hamstringed lawful citizens. I ask you how is a Glock more dangerous with 12 rounds rather than 11? Well, thats the kind of rediculous things that these bills accomplished.

So you say that I don't "need" an AR for hunting. I agree I probably don't. But, I want one! Its my right to own one! I'm no Criminal. With the exception of a few traffic violations I've never been in trouble. The last thing that I intend to do is harm someone. So You're telling me that I shouldn't be allowed to own a AR because it looks more dangerous than say your Remington 1100? I think that is rediculous! I tell you one thing for sure, You come through the door of my office with a H&R single shot 20 gauge pointed at me and I will be just as terrified if not more so than an AR15.

What is it about these weapons that bother you? Is it that they are very similar to military weapons? Cosmetics are no reason to judge, we should look at the functionality. It makes little sense really if you get past the emotions. I've seen AR's chambered in 308 win that are capable of shooting 1/2 MOA groups. I would bet that 90% of the weapons that you think of as Normal hunting rifles are less accurate than that. So, If I want to take this 1/2 MOA weapon to deer camp next fall you think I should be stopped? Heck, if I want to go to the range and shoot milk jugs with an AK47 as fast as I can what difference should that make to you?

Lets cut through the BS. You have the right to dislike these weapons. No different than it is my right to dislike anything with the word WEATHERBY on it. What we don't havea right to do isinfringeuponanother lawful citizens rights. How would you like to go out to buy a new AccuMark only to find that it was banned from sell in the US due to the new shatodavis ACT. Kind of rediculous don't you think?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

Right. One's a shotgun. One's a rifle. Let's compare apples to apples. Many states have 5 round magazine limitations for hunting rifles. How would an AR-15 with a 5 round magazine be any different from a Remington Model 742 chambered for the same caliber? Or would you ban the 742(and the 740, the 7400, etc., etc.) as well? (Keep in mind, the Remington semi-autos have been an extremely popular hunting rifle since the 40's or 50's, and have millinons have been sold. Similarly, the Browning BAR is a very popular hunting rifle).

We know your stance as regards use of AR's in hunting. What is your stanceas regards the underlying 2nd Amendment issue? Do you feel we shouldn't be allowed to own them at all?
Yeah, I want to hear this one too. This should be good. [&:]
Old 04-05-2007, 04:21 PM

ShatoDavis you run pretty free with your assumptions of what this lady thinks.
I am a life member of the NRA having been such since the late70's. I could have left when that great org 's president made the "jack booted thugs" comment in his mailing to members just as President Bush did at the time.I choose to stay a member of this lobby group giving contributions along the way. Mainly because I've always felt the NRA was the main source fighting to protect our gun ownership rights. At times I must admit I too felt their adgenda of no consessions was a bit to stringent for my tastes...but whom amI to question their results?I still own a couple dozen rifles and handguns. From Springfield 45 ACP1911 to Beretta shotguns an believe it or not a Panther Arms "black/plastic/terrorist type rifle". Which by the way I have not been forced to give up even after Zumbo's blog incident.
Guess whom else is a life member of NRA & SCI not to mention about 20 other pro gun orgs that fight each day, every day for 2nd Amendment rights of lawful citizens....here's a hint his name starts with a Z and he made the mistake of writing his personal thoughts on The Outdoor Life mags sponsored website blog. Had he done his writing on his own personal site very little would or could have been done to him.
I advocate gun ownership even though 95% of all my hunting is done with archery gear. An assualt rifle in the field to me is about as big a difference in hunting styles as one can imagine.
Big bulls,jspc,and you may have stepped on your tails when you assumed I am anti AR ownership. I'm not at all I am however anti hunting with them. If you want to use them go for it....I'll sneak into 20 yds and lace my bull this fall once again with a 2314 just as I did with my African game animals last summer;kudu,oryx,warthog, zebra. Hopefully this August whileI'm in the Selous Reserve of Tanzania hunting cape buffalo with my silly little Mauser 98 458WMyou can watch the other guy shoot jack rabbits with his AR15.