Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Antelope

Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Default RE: Wyoming Antelope

It's a well known fact that the Antelope population outnumbers the human population in Wyoming. No shortage of goats. You can literally throw a dart at a Wyo map and hit a huntarea that will hold Antelopes. Any where there is pararie (they don't live in the mountains), there's speed sheep!

I suggest reading the G&F site thorougly. Pay more attention to the '06 regs, they are much more informative than the "Tentative" '07 regs. Although regs can change, they rarely change much. Things like season start/end dates and the number of licenses issued pretty much stay the same year in and year out. Look at things like how many licenses will be allocated for a particular area. Cross reference that with areas with lots of public land with public access! (you can only legally access public land via publicly maintained roads). A good map(s) is the DeLorme Atlas for Wyoming. It will show you in fairly good detail where and how much public land is around the state. Public land is BLM, State Trust sections, and National Forest. The G&F website shows other private lands that are publicly accessable in the link called "Public Access". These are lands that property owners, in conjunction with a G&F agreement, allow the public to hunt their property for free. Study the walk-in areas and the Hunter Mangement areas.

I live in Cheyenne so I like to hunt areas close to home (a 50 mile radius).
But there are other hot spots like the Shirley Basin which is between Rawlins and Casper. And the Gillette area is very popular too.

Where are you coming from? A lot of guys that are flying in seem to gravitate towards areasnear airports.

As far as shooting? . . . Any flat shooting caliber will do. Some very popular cal's are the .270, 25-06 (my favorite), 7mm Mag, .243, and sometimes the .308. You need to practice long shots (200-400 yards!) and know your balistics. Get and use a range finder of at least an 800 yard rating. Good optics is a must. You'll be looking through them a lot and don't need to contend with the eye strain heardache. (Unless of course, it's self induced!) (lol)
Old 01-22-2007, 01:41 AM

I also applied for this year, hopefully I get drawn, if not I think I might go out anyway and try and get an OTC tag for another area. It will be quite different than the east coastwhitetails I've been chasing. I can't wait !!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

yeah I bet it will be fun, what area ya plannin on puttin in for?? I have really been doing my homework and have had quite a bit of help from these guys so hopefully it will be a sucsessfull trip...