Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Antelope

Old 01-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wyoming Antelope

Hey all, I am going to go antelope hunting in wyoming this fall( if I can draw a tag) and have never been to wyoming or know the first thing about antelope hunting..I was hoping for some info that may at least lead me in the right direction on harvesting a animal..Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks..
Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Wyoming Antelope

You picked the right state, Wyo has both a lot of prarie goats and some big ones. There is a lot of public BLM land that is kinda checker boarded across the state that has good antelope hunting. You can get maps that show you exactly how the blm land lays. I've shot lopers by Gillette and Saratoga but there is a lot of antelope everywhere. I've gotten them with rifle and blackpowder. shots range from 100-300yds. They are not to hard to bring down any mid-range caliber would work fine.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Wyoming Antelope??? So Easy a Caveman can do it.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you do not draw? You can apply for the left over draw. Lots of tags still out there in the left over draw. I put in for hunt area-22 last year. There were still tags left over after the second draw. This allowed anyone to buy them over-the-counter.
There were three of use in our group. All three of us killed nice bucks, 14"-plus on opening day, on public land.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a question... Lets say you don't draw a tag, and get a Preference Point. How does getting a leftover tag effect receiving a PP? Even though it's a leftover tag does it still wipe out up PP's? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:11 AM

kshunter,

Thats interesting. to get a preference point I would assume you would be applying for units that are tough to draw. I would further assume that if you where willing to hunt in a unit that had leftover tags after you where unsuccessful in you top 3 units I wouldn't think that it wouldn't affect your points. But, I'm no authority for certain. Someone who is up on wyomings point system should chime in.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly! I'd like to hunt a good unit, and don't mind waiting to do so, by building up Preference Points. But if I'm able to huntwith a leftover tag,i'd do that as well, as long as it doesn't effect my PP.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:15 AM

This is from Wyomings Big game Applications booklet online it should clarify the issue a bit:

The Preference Point system is designed to award a point for each unsuccessful draw attempt in a hard-to-draw area for individuals who elect the PREFERENCE POINT OPTION and remit the additional Preference Point fees, yet not penalize those who wish to list an easier to draw area on their second or third choice. If a person draws on the second or third choice when electing the PREFERENCE POINT OPTION, a Preference Point will be awarded even though a license is issued. If the person is successful in drawing his or her first choice, then all Preference Points are deleted but the preference point fee paid for that year is refunded. DRAWING SECOND OR THIRD CHOICE DOES NOT CAUSE PREFERENCE POINTS BE DELETED.
Some suggestions when applying for licenses with the PREFERENCE POINT OPTION: DO NOT apply for an easy to draw area for your first choice. If you do and are successful, then all of your accumulated preference points will be deleted and the odds of drawing
Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! That clears it up.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do yer homework well, get good maps fer the area your going to hunt. Study them well so you know the boundries and access routes. Lots of good BLM land to hunt. There are some folks who may try to tell you yer trespassing and try to get a fee out you. Study maps well, that happened to me, i had all my maps and knew where i was. Told him to call the Sheriff, he up and left! Good prongs most every where 14+.

Quick Reply: Wyoming Antelope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.