Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question? >

Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Old 12-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

I guess in my line of work,i use predatory birds the same way.When i clean out a roof rat or gopher job,and i know more will be back,i install owl houses.I line the client up with a pair of juvi owls and teach them how to finnish the raising.Then the owls keep the area pretty clear.
I never thaught it possible that anyone in there right mind would bring something like a wolf in,and protect it, knowing what its capable of.I gotta say it was a coinsidence,just because it would take so much forsight to have the end result being no game,no hunters,no guns.But then again,people in that mindset are not going to listen to anyone who doesnt agree with them.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:24 PM

I really don't believe hunters are well oraganized at all. Unfortunately, the hunting community is imploding from within, with high fenced hunting, land leasing etc. The leasing of land for hunting purposes is done soley for the purpose of limited access of others, and with that mentality, we are all in trouble. Why this is relative, is that the hunting community is split on several issues themslves, do you really think the guy from Maryland gives a crap about the wolf issue here in Montana? Too many hunters like the idea of wolves running around because they don't have to live with and deal with the wolves. Even on this board you will find guys from back east arguing for wolf recovery and re-introduction without even realizing that the people who most support it are their anti-hunting enemies. It all eventually comes right back to the old states rights issue, and that avenue is the most effective for us here in Montana. There is a ground swell occurring here, people are starting to get frustrated with the wolf issue, and the constant litigation over other natural resources. Letters are appearring in the paper, people are attending FWP meetings and beginning to yell, the federal government is hated and spoken of poorly. Recently, the USFS has been under attack for limiting access and rightfully so, but the pressure must continue.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a ground swell occurring here, people are starting to get frustrated with the wolf issue, and the constant litigation over other natural resources. Letters are appearring in the paper, people are attending FWP meetings and beginning to yell,
Glad to hear that
Old 12-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mabe i better hurry up and open an office in Montana.It sounds like you guys have more toothey critters than we do.I thaught we had it bad here in WI.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:54 PM

When asked if he's ever shot any wolves a local boy said, "No, but I've shot some REALLY BIG coyotes." Good answer.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is highly amusing....and more than a little creepy.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: marcusjb

When asked if he's ever shot any wolves a local boy said, "No, but I've shot some REALLY BIG coyotes." Good answer.

this sounds like some i would say
Old 12-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, alot of juvi. wolves get shot here,cause they are thaught to be coyotes.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I live with them......And I have no problem with shooting them...
In fact we do have a season in B.C....In fact I've shot 2..
No question they do do damage to deer elk moose etc...
Yep they seem to "kill for the fun of it"....Kill an animal and leave the carcus behind...
However...This is where I have a problem..
Hunters who fatally wound animals do the same thing...
In fact I wouldn't be under the relm of possibilties if quite a number of thesedead animalsfound by hunters were shot/lost by hunters...
And if you tally the numbers up, around the country,you'lldefinitly find the ratio of animals/birds shot and lost by huntersfar excedes what are taken and left by wolves....
Than add up what gets chuckedout of the freezer by hunters every year..
Until we get this issue solved...Like Mandatory tag cancelations for lost game...
Its a wash.......
People can cry about the way wolves attack and kill there pery...All that pain and suffering etc...
Well..what about a gut a gut shot elk....Or a deer with its jaw blown off....Don't even get me started on waterfowl .....
You can call me what you want...However I am a hunter that doesn't like to see things overlooked.........
Heres an idea Idahoelkinstructor a bit of give and take...If youand your fellow hunterswant a wolf kill so bad,maybe suggest to whom ever it may concern that your all for manditory tagging of lostcrippledanimals and inclusion of crippled waterfowl and upland birds in the dail bag limit...
You may just get somewhere...
Old 12-20-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats true Jeff,we are supposed to be the smart ones.The ones that ACT,and dont REACT.An action is a movement which has been thaught out,planned,and executed.In my opinion there would be fewer wounded animals if hunters would learn to act.instead of reacting to a flash,a noise, a running animal out of range.

Quick Reply: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.