Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question? >

Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Boy's I to feel your pain.
3s's
BBJ
Old 12-18-2006, 12:03 PM

I won't answer, Plausible denial you know.

Let me say this though, If we all shot everyone we saw it wouldn't make a dent in the population.How manyhave you seen? It took poisoning to eradicate them the first time, because hunting and trapping wasn't effective enough. What makes you think that we would be any better than the old timers.

How about P&LOW. Poison & Look Other Way!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

What makes you think that we would be any better than the old timers.

The invention of smokeless powder is a good start & Roy Weatherby rifles will help.

But you are right we couldn't killem all if we tried!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:26 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Kill them all is what I say outside of national parks...."
That was my response over three years ago and folks here on this forum just about boiled me in oil, now after three years and as my predictions keep getting closer and closer to being a reality it is satisfying to see some folks take on a different opinion.

The wolf reintroduction plan was an ingenious, well crafted "sucker punch" to the hunting public and those that try to make an agricultural living in therural mountain west.

Looks to me like too many folkscaught on too late though.... it was a master stroke by our opponents.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

In 2005 i had alot of work in the southwest,Coyotes were tearing up the place,people getting bit,dogs and cats missing.I spent 30 days and killed 150 of them before i stopped counting.In 2006 i only got a fraction of the calls i did the prev. year.I know i got alot of them,I know i cant take all the credit,and with a boom like that, lots got sick and died im sure.But you cant say it isnt possible to take the population back some if you realy want to.Is it worth all the effort? I think thats up to the indevidual
ORIGINAL: bawanajim

What makes you think that we would be any better than the old timers.

The invention of smokeless powder is a good start & Roy Weatherby rifles will help.

But you are right we couldn't killem all if we tried!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:38 PM

I'm not telling anyone to do this, I'm simply speaking hypothetically.
But, Hypothetically if a had an abundance of canines that I want to eliminate. I would hypothetically buy some hypothetical stryknine (sp?) and some hamburger and it might accidentally/ unbeknownist to meget mixed together in my truck bed while I was driving. And It might unknowingly bounce out of my truck on a rough road in the Hypothetical area of the hypothetical canines.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt wish that on even a coyote dude.My cold heartedness has a limit i guess.

But, Hypothetically if a had an abundance of canines that I want to eliminate. I would hypothetically buy some hypothetical stryknine (sp?) and some hamburger and it might accidentally/ unbeknownist to meget mixed together in my truck bed while I was driving. And It might unknowingly bounce out of my truck on a rough road in the Hypothetical area of the hypothetical canines.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:50 PM
DM

I didn't read any of the other answers, but here's mine...

Yes: they should be shot.. no tags no limit. Our forfathers had this one right the first time.

Yes: i never had to think about this very long after haveing to live with them around for a while...

DM
Old 12-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That and with my luck some kids dog would come allong.I realy couldnt handle that.
ORIGINAL: furgitter

I wouldnt wish that on even a coyote dude.My cold heartedness has a limit i guess.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Strychnine (a quite painful death) is systemic and will kill other animals down stream of the first victim if something predates on the first victim.

Cyanide (suffocation)is not systemic and will be rendered harmless within minutes after the first victims death as it quickly combines (chemically) with what ever it comes in touch with and becomes "tied up" and useless.

As I understand it, wolves are a curious sort and one weapon used during the "last go round" was the "rag-pull gun".... a scented rag was attached to a trigger and when "pulled upon" it fired a blast of cyanide into the wolves mouth face, this way it was "semi-selective".... with todays technology they could be made much more selective and safer than that.

These units were used as the wolf population was dwindling and it was getting harder to "get 'em.

Our grandfathers and great-grandfather's knew what they were doing.

Quick Reply: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.