Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Cow Elk... how much meat after processing? >

Cow Elk... how much meat after processing?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cow Elk... how much meat after processing?

Old 10-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cow Elk... how much meat after processing?

I've seen 29% of live weight in magazines, my brother will get up around thatnumber with elk he has shot close to a road and brought out whole.Personally, I wind up with about 22-24% on my game, but I don't bring out ribcage meat and I trim very liberally.

On a 400 lb. cow, figure 100 to 120 lbs, that'd be about average. It could be as low as 80 and as high as 150.

That's my take on the question.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Fork Horn

The amount of meat will actually depend on size of cow as previous replies state. I process my own meat so have a basic breakdown of the weight question. Basically once a elk is gutted and skinnedyou have a hang weight.Keep in mind head is already removed. Probably will lose 1/3 weight just in bones when meat removed. This should be somewhat a close estimate to how much weight to expect. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:52 AM

Alot will also depend on individual quality standards.
We cut our own and trim much more stringently than any butcher could afford to -- gourmet elk meat is the goal.
Also the yield will also depend how picky you are about what does or does NOT go into the grind.
Commercial processors tend to throw just about anything into the grind.
Just because itCAN gointo the grind (burger)DOESN"Tmean we want to eat it.
We have two discard bins at out cutting table: (1) dog food, and (2) true trash.
True trash (5 gallon can with liner)will weigh15 pounds at the end of one elk (not counting bones).
Dog food maybe 5 pounds.

What ends up being wrapped is definitely worth it.

If you care about what you eat, then20-23% of LIVE weight.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

I generally haven't been in the habit of weighing what I process when all is said and done, but last year I ended up with 200lbs of meat from an average sized bull. Boned in the field, no waste. A bit more trimmed off at home as I cut and wrapped. I've been told that is a good average for an average bull. I've seen some cows as big in the body as a large bull, and some wee little ones. Expect 150 lbs. Be glad if its more and don't be surprised if it is less.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Dominant Buck

The issue is how much of the cow is brought in to the processor. Taking the 4 quarters and backstaps/ tenders is different than bringing in the whole cow. I just went through it and got about 150 pounds. Bringing one out uphill by packframe isn't fun.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 AM

From my limited experience of processing elk, well over 50 and problely closer to 100, EKM is real close on his #'s if not dead on. Gameforlunch your processor mite have meant hanging weight not live weight and I'd still say he was too high. Theres a reason I cut my on meat here in Chey and you've help remind me why.
It real hard to estimatelive weight and they tend to get heavier the farther from camp they are.
I have used bathroom scales to weigh meat before I put it in the freezer and never remember havinganything over 200lbs.
The 160 lbs theWyo.G&F came up with was from a survey from lic processorsacross the state ofWyo.
I got this info from Dr Harjuwho was in charge of Biological Services at Wyo. G&F at the time it was done. He's not a BS type guy so I can safely say his #'s are good.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

"they tend to get heavier the farther from camp they are"

Isn't that the truth! lol I remember one bull in particular. He probably was around 500 lbs when I shot him. By the time the last quarter and rack was back to the truck he'd put on a good 400 lbs.