Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 processing own meat >

processing own meat

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

processing own meat

Old 09-28-2005, 12:15 AM

Default processing own meat

hey i was just wondering how many of you guys processed your own meat? i've never done it before but i want to start this year, my buddy does it and said it saves him a bundle, plus then i willl have a little extra cash for more jerky and venison sticks. and for those who make their own jerky do you have any special recipes/spices you use to make it?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: processing own meat

I've always taken care of my own processing. The average processingprice per deer is $75 around here. I can't believe people actually pay it considering how easy it is to do yourself.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

To much work for me a old man. Plus I have tried it already and I was so tired the next day I couldnt go hunting.Ihunted for fun ,relaxation ,If I wanted to work I would get a job.I retired for a reason.Relax not spend all night cutting .grinding up burger in the bathtub.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

I process my own mostly.
Every now and then I might take one in to get it processed. But it is expensive, Like $75.00, plus they keep they hide. It really is not that hard to do.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:43 AM

I started last year after deciding not to pay $80 to process my deer. It is really easy to do, and I can take my time and make sure it gets done correctly.

Just make sure you have a really sharp fillet knife and you'll be fine!

Old 09-28-2005, 05:44 AM

I do mine and all of my hunting partners.
I grew up in the meat locker business so it's no big deal to me.
We save about 1000.00 per year doing it ourselves.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:59 AM

My family and I process our deer. We use an electric knife to cut off the main portions and filet the meat. I know how that sounds, but don't knock until you try it. It makes things go so much faster and still does a nice job. Of course, you have to use a real knife to get the the rest and then there is the grinding of the extra stuff.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do all my own and hunting partners. Me and my two boys can have a deer in the freezer and cleaned up in under 2 hours. We aren't fast, but we have a good time doing it.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

my family has always done our own. its pretty simple. and you know you have your own meat when your done. theres nothing like fresh venison cookin in a pan and a few budweisers flowin while cuttin after a good day in the woods. get a few buds together and make it enjoyable.you wont believe the fun you can have while workin.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do it both ways. If it is hot is goes to the butcher. If it is cold out i'll whack it up.

Quick Reply: processing own meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.