Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
processing the meat your self >

processing the meat your self

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

processing the meat your self

Old 10-11-2002, 01:08 PM

Default processing the meat your self

i know there is another topic on butchering but this one is a little different.
For those of you that have processed your own meat. How do you get rid of that thin membrane that covers the meat between the muscles? Or do you. Ive already made all my cuts and its in the freezer. I have one more tag and would like to do a little bit better job on the next one if I decide not to take it to the butcher.

thanks for your help

Chuck
Old 10-11-2002, 01:44 PM

Default RE: processing the meat your self

I remove all of it I can using a fillet knife.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:56 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>How do you get rid of that thin membrane that covers the meat between the muscles? Or do you. Ive already made all my cuts and its in the freezer.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Like TrapperDave said, use a fillet knife or the knife your processing with.

In your case, you already have it in the freezer. I would remove a package of meat and place it in the refrigerator on a plate with a paper towel for a few days to allow it to further break down. When your ready to cook it, just remove the membrane before you put the meat in the pan. Don't worry about losing a little bit of meat in favor of getting a nice clean piece.

Some people actually prefer leaving the membranes and just getting the meat into the freezer like you did. Others prefer to remove the membranes and get nice clean pieces into the freezer from the start. Either way works fine. I try to do quick cleanups of the membranes while processing the meat but always wind up with some membrane left.

-Mike

Old 10-11-2002, 02:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-11-2002, 02:11 PM

It is a time comsumeing job to get it done.when you learn how to process it the right way,it goes real easy.if you do it you know how it was done,thats what I like about it.

the processer that always did mine has gone to $1.00 a lb. to do it. so I built me a smoke house to do my pork with and have gotten the grinders,stuffers,cubers,and all the other little things I need to do my own.
Just takes a little work,but hay my time is all I have in it now,every thing is paid for and I enjoy doing my own.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:11 PM

It's been my experience to let the local butcher handle that. I picture myself standing in the garage with a knife wondering where to start!!
Old 10-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I aggree with the above replies. A sharp filet knife works well. Most important to me is to remove every bit of fat possible and then wory about the membranes. The fat goes rancid in short order even in the freezer (learned the hard way) and you can always, as suggested, remove the membrane just prior to cooking.
Old 10-12-2002, 06:51 PM

One thing for sure orto, if you had someone process it for you, they wouldn't take the time so break out that knife and get after it..

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-12-2002, 10:07 PM

Believe me, a public deer processer will not go to the extra time and trouble of trimming everything that needs to be trimmed off a deer. They told me they just could not come out wasting all that extra time on each deer. In fact, I have watched a few butchers cutting deer meat and I wouldnt bring that meat home the way it has been handled.

The easiest way I've found for butchering is to put the quarters and back straps into a cold refrigerator for a couple of days and let the meat get near freezing before cutting. All of the membranes become firm and are alot easier to trim off. Once I have all of the meat off the bone and trimmed out I carry the meat to the cannery and have fulkl access to all grinders, cubers, etc. at a price of 10 cents per pound. Wrapping is another 10 cents per lb. so a whole deer runs you around 5-6 bucks and your time.

GB

Smack 'em where it hurts!
Old 10-13-2002, 12:24 AM
Typical Buck

I take off that which comes off easily without wasting any good meat. I don't mind leaving the membrane in.

When I cook my meat, if it ain't moving it's overcooked. Since I eat it almost raw, the membrane doesn't present much of a problem.

Bowhunter

Quick Reply: processing the meat your self

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.