HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 09:52 AM
MTdream
Fork Horn

Default RE: Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Hey folks I need some help/advice. I love the mountains. I've been lucky enough to go on three elk hunts in my life. Each time was with a guide. Once in montana, and twice in British Columbia. I had great time at each and have nothing but good things to say about my experiences. Here's the deal though. I can't afford to go as often as I want. So I'm comtemplating DIY hunts.

I have no worries at all about my wood skills. I was raised on a farm and in the woods. I know I got the chops so to speak. I'm excellent with horses so I think I can pull it off. So I guess what I'm getting at is what equipment do I need to pack in to the back country that I love. Don't leave anything out. I know quite a bit but there might be some stuff I'm overlooking. So let me have your ideas.

Next I guess I would like to ask where? I love montana and wyoming but I think you have to use a guide to hunt the wilderness areas. There must be a state that I can go to do what I'm considering. any help would be greatly appreciated.

OBTW I love to elk hunt but its not a must. Just being in the mountains is what I'm after. Elk,Deer, Moose, anything to get me there.

Shato,

I also was reminded in another post about a book written by an outfitter that used to guide in the Bob Marshall Wilderness (several suggested hunting there)

I read it and enjoyed it, and think that it might help with some of the stuff you are seeking...it is on Amazon here is the link...the Book is titled the Phantom Ghost of Harriet Lou...

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Ghost-Harriet-Other-Stories/dp/0918981042/sr=8-4/qid=1157039216/ref=sr_1_4/103-6805188-2519842?ie=UTF8