Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What To Bring In A Daypack? >

What To Bring In A Daypack?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What To Bring In A Daypack?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:49 PM

Default RE: What To Bring In A Daypack?

Nobody remembers a First-Aid kit?????????

It doesn't have to be big,some alcohol wipes, a few various size bandaids, 1 or 2 gauze pads or roll gauze, sharp pointed (sliver) tweezers, some of those packs of painreleaver/cold tabs/antihistamine/IMMODIUM.

Even just one of those that are made for in luggage or travel kits that you can get at any *mart or pharmacy. 3"x4"x1/2" ,
But the longer you go foror the farther you go in, the larger a kit you'll want to take.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wayomic,
Matter of fact I did in my first post,along with a hatchet.
Why carry a cell phone in 98% of places you hunt out west you don't get service anyways,better off with smoke signals.LOL
BBJ
Old 08-17-2006, 10:33 AM

small mirror and a candle
Old 08-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Don't forget the fridge and the microwave oven. Lmao.

Two Liter's of water, rope, knife, first aid, folding saw or hatchet, some kind of nutrion, FIRE STARTER, and a small pocket poncho, small flashlight, and you can survive most anything. The rest is just luxury items.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am on the same page with cherokee. I also like to dip cotton balls in vasoline and put them in film canisters. They work awesome for starting fires. I have a small saw kit I carry also. I can build a pine bough leantoo and start a fire. A poncho will add a nice waterproof roof to the leantoo. There are lots of materials on the mountain to use. I often cover up my legs with pine needles even when I am not stranded. It helps keep the warmth in and the wind off. The only way I will be stranded is if I get hurt. I always mark the trailhead and pickup on my GPS before I take off.

Just remember, the one thing that will be the most important of all, is leave a trip plan with someone you know and trust. Give an estimated return time, and a time to send the search party if you don't return. All the gear won't help you if they don't know where you are!!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Utility knife, extra knife, first aid kit, field glasses, MSR Sweetwater, MSR stove, 2 cup coffee press, rope, compass, pens, trail marking tape, duct tape, extra long plastic gloves, copy of the the game commission digest,topo mapof the area I'm hunting ( usually printed from mymapsource cd),sewing kit, snake bite kit, trioxane bars, flint, matches, lighter and extra batteries.. Food really depends on weather I feel like MRE's or dehydrated. The Camelback isa must. In my jacket pockets are the gps, ammo, cellphone, two way radio, leatherman, flashlights, and as of late I've been really liking the virtues of led lights.
The pack weighs about 6-8 lbs along with the 18 lbs of my treestand that's about all I want to carry into the woods while carrying a rifle.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, thanks for everybody's help so far. I think I have a good idea on what to bring now.
Cory
Old 08-19-2006, 02:44 PM

Knife pack(skinning, gut hook, and saw)
rope(never know when your going to need it)
tags and regulations
cantine
zip ties
ear plugs
bionocs
extra clothes
ammo
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM

It would really depend on what game you were hunting, where you were hunting, and whether or not you were close to the truck/camp. I have made 3 trips to Idaho for archery elk. I carry:
1 MRE (military food ration) these are tasty, compact, and packed with nutrients
1 spare flashlight
1 gps
1 2 way radio (no cell service or that would also be packed)
1 large knife
enough drinks, more if you are not close to water
spare batteries
candy bar or other "snacks"
asprin or ibuprophin
chapstick
TP!!!!!!!
1 lighter
1 camera
I tend to leave room for my jacket or extra clothes if I will walk a while before stopping. That way I don't get to hot. I'm also lazy, so I don't over pack. You will have to ultimately decide what to bring. The group that I hunt with never packs game bags or other needed items to get the game out. We will call on the radio and converge on the kill and someone will go by camp to pick up the necessary items.When I deer hunt I will also pack a small folding stool.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:47 AM

Put in a bottle or 2 of Fireless Smoke scented 3-in1 hunting tool. Use it for wind detection, cover up scent, and big game attractant. This way if your upwind just puff a couple extra times to cover your scent.