Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NW Montana Hunt

Old 07-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default NW Montana Hunt

I've been invited to hunt Muleys up in NW Montana around Whitefish. Just curious if anyone has ever hunted that area and what is the country like or what one can expect for animals. I've been going over topo maps and elevation isn't very high but the pictures I've found show alot of thick stuff. I've hunted eastern MT two different years and am looking forward to seeing a different part of Montana...
Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NW Montana Hunt

ironranger,
You are correct, the area in western, Montana is thick. My father travels from western, montana to hunt deerwith me in south central, Montana every year.
You will not see as many deer in north western, montana.

Good luck,

Wolf Killer

Old 07-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

North of Whitefish in the Whitefish Range the ground is steep and brushy. Get yourself in shape. There are some absolute pig mulies up high, they will stay high until the snow is almost to their belly. Get high and glass, you can get a good one.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Iron,
What time of year????
It can get steep and THICK.I do alot of white-tail hunting over by Libby.Go slow and glass,get high and glass clearings and what not.
What alot of times is drive the logging roads,get on a ridge and hunt that way.But there is plenty of steep tuff around.
BBJ
Old 07-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx everyone for the input. I'm thinking about probably heading over there in Mid November as I figured later would be better. I've already begun the training and will be running alot of hills in preparation for it. My hard work definitely helped me hunt harder last fall in CO so I've got lots of work to do before then.