Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Where can I get some Chocolate for Bear Bait? >

Where can I get some Chocolate for Bear Bait?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Where can I get some Chocolate for Bear Bait?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Where can I get some Chocolate for Bear Bait?

Anyone know where I can get some Chocolate left overs for bear bait? I've heard of some guys using it with great success but they get it in large quantities. I thought it would make a great 55 gallonbait barrel. Seal it tight and give em some holes just big enough to get a tasteand they would keep coming back for more. Someone has got all the donut shops in our area by contract. We used that a couple of years ago and that worked great but now we can't get it.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Where can I get some Chocolate for Bear Bait?

See if there is a candy company within reasonable range . Another source would be a bakery or bakery supply house . Chocolate flour mixes should work about as well as chocolate , you can even toss or spray some into the wind from your stand for the wind to carry . Be creative .
Old 06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Up here they use sweets like donuts and cakes, etc. and they get
them from bakery outlets that are to old to sell. Also keep in mind a lot of the bigger bears come in to an old steak up here. They seem to like old meat.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

Yea, the guys up there tie up the dayold donuts. I have a bakery buddy here and I bring up a truckload for my guides and they are very thankful.
HCH[/align]
Old 06-26-2006, 05:20 PM

There are lots of places in northern wisconsin with chocolate and other bear bait. One year we bought a 55 gallon drum of chocolates. They had peanut butter and stuff in it. We even got a 35 pound solid chocolate block. Of course i couldnt resist trying some
Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the great chocolate feedback and all great ideas. 24/7 hunter, do you remember what you paid for those 55 gallon drums full of chocolate? I would like to get donuts but the bear hunters here have all the bakeries and donut shopslocked up.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:20 PM

I used to get a lot of bait from gas stations. Not sure if you have any close that sell donuts, but around here the holidays sell Krispy Kreme. I would stop in any time after 10:00 pm and get all that was left. I would usually fill up a grocery bag. Also, look in the back of magizines (I have seen bait for sale in outdoor life).
Old 06-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

I'M TOO CHEAP TO AFFORD A BARREL OF CHOCOLATE. FOOD SCRAPS KEPT IN THE FRIDGE TILL I GO UP IS A START. TOP IT UP BY STOPPING AT KFC ON THE WAYTO THE CAMP,BY SCOOPING A PAIL OF SEASONED LARD FROM THEIR GREASE BIN IN THE BACK. THE BEAR WILL BE PRE-SEASONED WITH ELEVEN HERBS AND SPICES. ANY OTHER SCRAPS YOU COME ACROSS WILL BE A BONUS. BRING GARBAGE BAGS TO PUT THE PAIL OF USED LARD IN. IT GETS MESSY, ESPECIALLY IF THE WEATHER IS WARM.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM

My dad got it free from his buddy who bought a couple hundred pounds. He said it was like 10 cents a pound but that was a while ago and im sure the price went up.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

I found a connection for some chocolate and it's .16 cents a pound in 585 lbs 55 gallon plastic drums. There's some with all sorts of nuts and some drums with just the butter fat from making the chocolate and some drums just full of sugar. Most of it is just plain chocolate and lots of it. I think I'm going to get some scraps first, like the KFCgrease, I like the idea of 11 herbs and spices, LOL,and then once I got some coming in, I'll hit em with the dessert. A big blue drum of fine chocolate sealed tight with holes just big enough where they can get a taste. Our season starts Sept 1st and farther North of here is starts on Aug. 15th so I wonder when I should start baiting? I'll check the regs to see if there are limits to how soon you can start baiting before the season opener here in Ontario.

Quick Reply: Where can I get some Chocolate for Bear Bait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.