Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Elk Hunt

Old 02-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Montana Elk Hunt

I just booked an Elk/Mule deer 10 day semi-guided hunt and have a few questions, The hunt is out of Sula Montana, just south of Darby. It's a pack in trip with horses, around a 4 hour pack. I was wondering if anyone had ever hunted this area and had any information on what to expect. I was also wondering what to expect for weather. I'm going the first week of rifle season Oct 22-31 or there abouts. The elevation isn't extreme, with 8000 being tops for the area, according to the outfitter. I'm sure 8000 feet is going to still kick my butt with me living near sea level and never being out west. Another question I had was if the elk would still be rutting at all or are they totally out of it by then. I also posted a question in the "gear review" section asking which pack I should get for the trip, and also which boots are preferred. Thanks for your time and I don't expect and answer for each question from one person but any information will help me out a lot. If you prefer to email me it's [email protected] THANKS AGAIN!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montana Elk Hunt

The elk population in that part of the state is good. The weather can be mild or it can be down right cold? You should have cold mornings & cool mid day temps? Best boots? You will want two pair of boots. I recommend one pair of rubber bottom leather top pac boots. Schnees in Bozeman, Montana makes the perfect boot for this application.
The second pair of boot should be a lightweight leather boot with thinsulate & goretex. I would look at Danner or Vasque. Look for a pair that has 400 to 600-grams of thinsulate.
I almost forgot the elk will be done with the rut.
Good Luck,

Wolf Killer
Old 02-01-2005, 09:23 PM

This is a good area to hunt, you should see some critters. This area is about 40 miles south of where I hunt and I am familiar with it. Montana Bob is even more familiar with it I believe. The last two years in that area the elk were still bugeling opening day, but got silent within a day or two of the opener. Weather can be heavy snow and cold, or 75 degrees. Afternoons can get warm, and nights pretty cold. You absolutely must be in shape, you must be willing to get up early and hike into proper intercept routes in darkness. You may wake up and have a bull in camp, or you may log many miles to get a shot, but if your not in shape your chances deminish very quuickly.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Muley pretty much covered it on the weather. I have to assume you will be hunting the 250 unit( West of HWY 93) as the 270 is by permit only for Mule deer and to draw a tag for this trophy area is remote. There is a good population of both Elk and Mule Deer all through the area and you should have no trouble filling your tags. You will be hunting below 8000' as most of the peaks just touch that level in the area.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:11 PM

I really appreciate all your help. This site amazes me with the amount information available from knowledgeable hunters. I'm excited about the hunt, and I have no doubt as to how tough the terrain is going to be. I hunt on average over 40 full days a year for whitetails here in the northeast, but I'm sure there is nothing where I hunt that can compare with the terrain out west. Last year when I was booking a Moose hunt in Newfoundland, I turned to this forum for info. Every thing I was told, from binoc's to boots was right on the money. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Pace Maker, I hunt in Montana with my brother who lives out there every couple years, believe me from being a flat-lander in Mass. also, if you are not prepared for the terrain and physical beating day in and day out, you will be one sore pup, train, train, train before going, you won't be sorry.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Hamilton, 35 miles north of Sula, and hunt county on nearly all four sides of the general area you're describing. There are definitely elk in there, our herds are 20% over the F&G objectives right now, even with all the wolves. That said, expect a tough hunt physically. The better shape you are in, the better odds you'll have to score. General success odds in that area run under 10% for a hunter holding a bull tag. I hope that doesn't sound too bleak, but elk hunting is a lot tougher than whitetail hunting.

Bulls should be bugling a little still, but the main rut will be long over. The best thing about that first week is that even if they're not actively bugling, most of the herd bulls will still be hanging with cow herds. Find a cow herd and there is probably a bull in tow. (In fact, I think it's the first week of rifle season that prompts the bulls to split off from the cows. They get run around a couple times and the bulls head off for the real rough stuff to hide.)

Have fun!