Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

BEAR BAITING QUESTION

Old 06-13-2006, 06:20 PM

Default BEAR BAITING QUESTION

Does anyone use liquid smoke at thier bait sites? I was told to give it a try but I don't want to spook 'm away from the area. I leave on fri. for Canada my outfitter provides active baits ("meats and sweets") I normallyadd bacon fat and other goodies when I take over the baiting( he gives you the choice of doing your own baiting if you want to)thanks joe...
Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM

Default RE: BEAR BAITING QUESTION

Here is how you test the liquid smoke. Take a stick and soak it in Liquid smoke and place it on the trail about 7 feet from the bait. If the bear hits the stick and smells it, then you know it was the liquid smoke that helped you bring that bruin into you. I am a big fan of snow cone syrup in Cherry Flavor. My favorite reasons for this syrup is the smell is really good, it is really really sticky and gets onto the bears paws when he hits the baits he creates a trail heading out from the bait that creates a sign post for the next bear that crosses that track. Oil and Grease tend to do the same thing. Pretty soon you have a ton of tracks coming in and out of a particular bait.

If you really want to bait your own baits then have fun.

I also really like Sweet Oats(horse feed). A good bag of Oats works great, just divid the bag up for 5 equal portions and bring it into the stand each day in a 5 gallon bucket... Leave 1/2 of it when you leave the stand each night..

Hope this helps you get a really great bear, please remember to take pictures and share them with all of us.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:12 PM

For the first time myself and 2 buddies ran our own baits. We used tips from several different sources one of my long time bear baiting buddies told me to use liquid smoke. Every time we baited a bottle went in with the bait mix. Then when I was on stand I had a spray bottle mixed up with 50/50 water and liquid smoke, I would spray it a couple of times every 30 mins or so. I'm a firm believer that the spraying not only helped to mask our scent but it also drew bears in.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-15-2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the help, packing tonite, we leave tomarrow. Will post some pic's when we get back!! joe....