Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bear Baiting

Old 07-24-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Bear Baiting

I am new to bear hunting and wish to begin baiting for the upcoming fall season. I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed. Types of baits and techniques including where and how often are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear Baiting

joe, just wondering, what state do you live in, and is it legal to bait there?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Property is in the Adirondacks of NY. NO, you can' t hunt over bait but I don' t think it' s illegal to bait prior to season.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

boy, i dont think that you can do that in ny, or at least don' t get caught, lol. used to work with a guy from plattsburg who bear hunted, never mentioned baiting. but, i went to maine last year for bear, guide used molasses, snack cakes, corn, fryer grease, peanut hearts. each bear baited wanted something different. also used licorace, and oil of anise. try these things.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

be careful. some states require you to remove bait or any trace within 30 days of the opener. sounds funny but i have found in different areas bears prefer different foods. in maine it was mostly sweets. in ontario canada mostly meat scraps. if your looking for cheap try some bag dog food with a little syrup and artificial vanilla. hang a bag from a tree or dig a small pit and put some heavy logs and rocks over it it to try to keep most of the critters out. if you can hang a couple fish up in a tree to act as stink bait to get them coming to your area.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to go up to to Plattsburg and fish Champlain with some friends of mine who ran a guide service called Fish-Busters; Goose.Wayne and Lex ever hear of them or Champlain Guide Service Run by Pete Casamento and his Wife Jane, Great Bunch of Sportsman All of them. Nice Country up there, Hope to get back up there someday.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:08 AM

Try attracting the bears in w/ a " stink bait" .
Hang a bag 8 feet or so off the ground filled w/ chicken, fish, beef, etc. Poke a bunch of holes in the bag so the rotten smell can escape. You want it to stink. This will bring in Bruins from all over the place.
As for bait, use sweets. Doughnuts, cupcakes, etc.
Keep the stink bait up until the bait bucket gets hit. Put your cam tracker out and take the necessary pics. You should have several different bears coming in. See what you' ve got coming in and proceed accordingly. If you like what you have coming in, pull the stink bait. keep checking the bait every other day. 1 week before the season, check it everyday.
Don' t bait at all if it is illegal in your state. You' ll get yourself in some serious trouble.
It is illegal in MA where I live, so i' ve only done it in ME.
It' s not worth it if it' s illegal.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:58 AM

FYI... My " stinkbait" is so bad right now that i have to cover my nose and mouth while refilling my bait bucket.
But, I' ve got 3 nice " shooters" coming in... and a couple little guys. on that one bait.
it works
Old 08-08-2003, 07:12 PM

Wow, thanks for all the info. I' ve secured a 50 gal drum of bacon grease(from a bacon manufacturer) and a 50 gal drum of beef blood(from a slaughter house). Gonna spread it around over some grain.. Whatya think???
Old 08-12-2003, 07:55 AM

should work... but don' t leave out the sweets.... that' ll bring em in... but you' ve gotta keep ' em coming....