Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Baiting

Old 10-15-2003, 11:06 AM

Default Bear Baiting

I am going up to Canada for a spring bear hunt and I am doing it self-guided. What kind of baits have you had success with? I have read about bacon fry, but don' t understand the method. Also how to perform a honey burn. Any other methods -- corn, apples, rotting meat, kool-aid. Thanks
Old 10-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Baiting

How long do you plan on baiting? If it is for a short time, I' d go for stink to lure them in. If you are baiting for an extended time, month or longer, I' d stink them in, then keep them interested by putting out plenty of dog food, oats, bread crumbs or crushed up donuts. If you put large items out, they will go in, grab them and leave. The small stuff keeps them in the bait for a while to offer a better shot opportunity.

A honey burn can be done with a small sterno can and a cut up soda can. Pour the honey in the can and put it over the flame. Easy as that. I' d also try other attractants like anise or fish oils, a beaver carcass if you can get your hands on one, and some other stinky concoctions like rotton eggs and food. Bacon and cooking grease from the kitchen works well too, but from what I' ve seen and read, folks use that in large quantity. You might be able to score some from a local restaraunt.

Good luck! If you haven' t baited before, you' ll soon realize why they don' t consider it easy.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:59 PM

Default RE: Bear Baiting

Try using rabbit or fawn calls, they can bring great results, just be ready