Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bear baiting

Old 02-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default bear baiting

Some friends & I have booked a hunt in canada this spring & were woundering what would be the best to use?
The first hunt 4 yrs. ago was a bust, useing frozen meat scraps & we are trying to maximise our chances.
any help or advice ? our hunt is the second wk. of may. Thanks GB50
Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bear baiting

Almost anything will work once they find it, to help the bears find the bait do a bacon or honey burn (burn honey and/or bacon fat) to get good smells floating on the wind.Once they have found the bait site they will return.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:04 PM

If you booked a hunt here i take it you are with an outfitter. If they are guiding you all of the baiting will be done prior to your arrival no? I am not sure what you situation is but baiting needs to be done well in advance of the hunt to maximize the number of bears that are hitting the site. I really do not think this is up to you but rather your outfitter. Where are you hunting? Who is doing the baiting?

here are some links on this topic
Baiting bears
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1943383&mpage=1&key=bear%2cbait& amp;#1943402

Best Bear Bait.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1899236&mpage=1
Old 02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Weare hunting around Val Dore,Quebec. the baiting is done 2 mon. prior. I'm looking for something to inhance the bait station. they supply frozen bags of meat scraps.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Our friends in Maine say nothing beats glazed donuts!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since the bait is established in advance I'd suggest scent enhancements as a way to spruce your baits. Adding different foods will have minimal impact in a short period.

Such would be a honey, licorice or bacon burn (as mentioned). Or you could use products like bear sense smoking sticks. I know many bearhunters and outfitters who usescents in addition to there baits. Anise is a great bear attractant and in the past a licorce burn or pure anise oilburn has yielded results for myself (even without a bait established). So my first choice would be theanise. Anotherwould be 10 miles of dead fish.No point in berry( to early) orrotten meat (should already be in the air by way of the meat scrapes).

FYI Bear Sense link:http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20096&rid=&indexId=cat20096&navActi on=push&masterpathid=&navCount=3&paren tType=index&parentId=cat20096&id=0004722

(if you go with the smoke sticks I'd advise you toget the fold down bucket they make. While one can be made out ofa plastic pail,itwillnot be as easy to transport for you)

G/L
Old 02-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

Skeeter;
Thanks for the info. I will try the anise burn!!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Hi Graybeard,

If your outfitter is doing his/her job you don't and shouldn't bring a thing to bait with....period! If the baiting has been going on for 2 months the outfitter is probally baiting with the same bait every time they make a bait run, now mr. bear is used to the smells of his bait. You come into the picture with a different bait/smell. Bear gets nervious and won't come into your baits and then people get mad and put blame on the outfitter. Don't change a thing. Now say you have a few smaller bears at the bait, they don't seem to be as touchy as the big boys. I suggest talking to your outfitter and get their opinion on this. On the topic of doing a burn. A burn can and sometimes do work wonders, but again if the outfitter dosent use anise when they make their bait run it is going to be a different smell that the bears haven't had before and will become very timid to come into the baits. Not that it dosent work because it can. An example of this is if you have a bear that has never been into the bait and just happens to be walking by and gets a wiff of your burn they may waddle in to see what the stink is about. By the way, honey makes a great burn, but I bait with all sweets, so its not a new scent in the area.
Bottom line is talk with your outfitter. I see way too many posts on here with people going on a outfitted bear hunt and want to know what to use for bait when they get to camp. If your outfitter is doing his/her job you don't need to worry about this at all. All you need to worry about is putting aperfect shot on a great animal.

Best of luck on your hunt.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

If the outfitter is doing his job you don't need to bait yourself. He is getting paid to bait and bring bears to the stand site. He is in the bussness to give you the best chance to Harvist a Bear. If you have to bring Bait with you , WRONG OUTFITTER or this is a self guided hunt.

Here's my opion , Many guys spend $500 on a hunt bring there own equiptment and Grub. They do this time after time , say 5 times the have $2500 plus in a hunt and no Bear or a Little Bear. I know some grate outfitters that I have been to that is so remote you will kill a bear if you can stay still and can shoot.I am talking big bears.Why be cheap , save your money and hire a good outfitter, there is no garentee thats why it's called HUNTINGandNOT SHOOTING.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

Blazerman;
That's true,our hunt is 1500.00 per person in a new area the outfitter aquired last year. it's a national park that hasen't been hunted for 35 years. his area is aprox: 4000 sq. miles. he baits until hunters get there , then the hunters do the rest with frozen meat.
Should we let the meat thaw before setting it out??
Again, only trying to maximize chance to harvest a good bear. the sights are set up at 75 to 150 yards.& shooting skills are fair to good.
ALL ADVICE IS WELCOME!! Thanks GB50

Quick Reply: bear baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.