Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Some help for the new bear baiters >

Some help for the new bear baiters

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Some help for the new bear baiters

Old 05-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Some help for the new bear baiters

I work for an outfitter and we took 69 bear off of baits in a two bear area last year in effort to improve elk population. Here's a few observations:

No bear were taken the week of the full moon, yet 40 lbs of bait was completely ate each night in six different baits that I stocked every morning....not a single bear came in during daylight.
If the bait hasn't been hit, build a small fire, throw on green pine boughs, and poor on used cookingoil to make a very smoky fire. Should send sent that the bear will follow back. Do this with all new bait stations to get them started.
Set baits on ridge tops in cover so the bear are comfortable moving in during daylight and sent travels numerous directions with natural air current.
Used cookingoil that most restraunts are happy to get rid of should be added to any bait you happen to use. Once any bear has hit the bait they get theoil on themselves and leave a sent trail that the other bears will pick up and follow back.
Use smaller baits and restock often, a couple days empty and the bear generally will move on. Overfeed, they often gorge and won't return as often.
Bulk malassas is cheap when bought from a livestock feed store....make a lot of sent and the bear really go for it.
Baits work best before the hillsides green up...bears move on and feed on the new vegetation.
Use a cover sent of some sort, I set up a bottle of used cookingoil with about a tablespoon of liquid smoke, put a pin hole in it to make a slow drip.
Feel free to correct my spelling
Old 05-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some help for the new bear baiters

To get my bait started, I hang a sack on a sapling that gets pulled down and the bag attatched. This year I used buttermilk, yogurt, anchovies,fish, bacon,oysters, and 2 bottles of liquid smoke. I let this cook in the sun for about a month. I thought the bucket was gonna explode. This should last for a while and will permeate the hills. I almost lost it when I hung it in the tree. I use a large quatity of pastries at first and set a full barrel next to it. The bears start getting the easy eats and are free to come and go without my interaction. It seems to take 10-12 days to establish a pecking order when it comes to feeding. About that time the barrel is the only thing left and it takes some time to get the food out. The bears begin to come in at different times of the day to check it out and hopefully not run in to the other bears. By using this method, I was having bears come in even at around noon. This year my bait activated in the middle of me putting it out. I have a couple of freinds who want to take bears this year, so I am going to slip in early this year to se if I can shag one out. Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

Default RE: Some help for the new bear baiters

Thanks for the tips