Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For all you baiters..... >

For all you baiters.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For all you baiters.....

Old 09-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default For all you baiters.....

I read an interesting article in 'NC Sportsman' magazinea week or so ago. The author is a local Gander Mtn. archery dept. manager and an accomplished bowhunter.

Here's his take on baiting....

1. he only baits an area a few days before he plans to hunt it. His contention is that the bucks will find the bait before the does will. He puts a trail cam on the area when he spreads his bait....and years of experience have shown this to be true.

2. He only baits 15-20#'s at a time. This creates competition.

3. When he begins to get too many does on the trail cam.....he switches spots. he says the does will run the bucks out of the area....once they find it and begin frequenting the site. When they show up.....he moves.

His success is hard to argue against. Though I don't bait....I find his methods intriguing.....and thought some of you baiters might think so, too.

What are your opinions of his methods/approaches to baiting?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: For all you baiters.....

He sounds like a master....baiter.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd say you're right, rimjob. Here's a link to the article. Looks like he's gettin' it done....and with trad gear, to boot.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=831
Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it's okay. I don't just "bait" to draw them in, but for nutrition too. The main cause for big antler growth is nutrition and if you're running feeders year round you will get bigger deer. I'll tell you this, I see both does and bucks, so I don't think the does run the bucks out of there.

I just want to make it clear that hunting over a food plot, feeders, lick etc.. doesn't guarantee a kill. Deer are still very hardto hunt and feeding them is only a tool and good management IMHO.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

This wasn't posted to start a debate on baiting. It is what it is....and it's legal, here (wher ehe does it). The thread was designed to discuss the tactic.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Jeff as we talked Sunday, I do bait some but not all of my areas. I've used/use feeders to keep the deer from gorging themselves and to keep from feeding 3000lb's/year. This was my first year of using trailcams, and I've not got a single picture within the last month of a mature buck in the corn during day light hours, but I've got one special deer that has been feeding in the early morning hours. All of my pics are of either does or bucks feeding, but not both. I'm wondering if this is b/c of the time of year i.e. bachelor groups or if the does run the bucks off? I've found hunting directly overthe bait pile leads to some very skiddish deer.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

This wasn't posted to start a debate on baiting. It is what it is....and it's legal, here (wher ehe does it). The thread was designed to discuss the tactic.
I knew you were going to say that, but I had to throw that in there. I addressed your question, but I wanted to preface my response. A lot of times the word "baiter" is used in a derogatory manner.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I've found hunting directly overthe bait pile leads to some very skiddish deer.
Hence my reference to the article and some potentially great advice for people who employ the practice.

I'm not above it, at all.....and if I see the white doe my landowner has seen.....I'll bait a spot and target her. I won't be using these tactics when I do, though. I'll likely put a feeder in there and a lock-on.

If you're targeting bucks, though....I'm interested in what others have to say regarding the author's tactics.

Good luck, Brandon.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm not against baiting,
I'd say not!

Quick Reply: For all you baiters.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.