Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Bear season, better late than never!! >

Bear season, better late than never!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear season, better late than never!!

Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear season, better late than never!!

Bear season started on April 15th. As those that know me, I pushed a little too soon last year and ended up with a 250.00 wrecker bill. Thankfully I was o.k. This year started slow with mother nature giving us more snow than we need. I am still not able to get to the spot I hunted last year, but decided to set up shop in the opening of the canyon. I took in 500 lbs of bait last night and the barrel. Upon returning this morning to finish it up with another 5oo lbs of bait, I found that I had been hit already by hungry bears. I am going to wait until sunday evening to hunt and it is just killing me. I have invested over 40 hours in this hunt and still have yet to actually hunt. Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear season, better late than never!!

Good luck and hopefully you don't have a wrecker bill this year.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

That's a lot of bait for a bear. Hope you get one . Shouldn't be hard he won't be able to run to fast. lol
Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the little bit at a time thing. I kept getting hit and never saw a blasted bear. I started putiing out large quatities and stay out for a while. When I started doing this I started seeing bears during the day. Last year I had a pile that was 1,000 pounds gone in one week. I was seeing bears out and about starting at 12:00-1:00 in the afternoon with bigger bears coming in before dark. They obviously had a schedule of their own by then. I think that I may slip in and sit in my bow blind sunday evening and see just what is happening. This is killing me!!!!! I want to go now!!!!! Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:30 PM

I'm in the same situation up here in Alaska. I've put in about 40+ hours and still no bears. Going up the mountain tomorrow to see if anything has hit. If not I guess I'll wait another week.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:35 AM

At least you get to bait.We have to walk around and stumble into one.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have much better luck putting out about 50lbs at a time.I set out the baits at between 5pm and 6pm and according to the trailtimers,the bears hit as soon as 15 minutes after I leave the bait.Having smaller amounts of bait forces the bears to appearsooner or get no bait.With too much bait,they often wait until dark because they know that there will still be bait for them.I restock baits every day and after a few days the bears become quite punctual.