Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Edible antelope???

Old 03-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Edible antelope???

The only way I have ever cooked my antelope meat is on the grill and it is some of the best game meat I have ever eaten. I don't have any secret recipes, but I find that the longer you cook the meat the more of a "gamey/sage" taste there is. Prepared medium on the gas grill it is excellent.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:25 PM

I appreciate the ideas guys, thanks. The taste I am describing is not really the classic "gamey" or wild blood taste but in actuality truly SAGE because the sagebrush in the area was practically ALL that was there. The animals smelled of it as soon as we cut them open. The meat itself tastes good,but the sage just overpowers the natural flavor and the marinade I used. I will probably try the saltwater or buttermilk soaking and see what happens, I bet that will take it out.

As for the temp and time, the meat was PERFECTLY done. I NEVER cook meat over medium and typically at low-medium heat for only 10-12 mins. It was very tender and moist. Personally I would rather eat my boots than dried out meat, ESPECIALLY wildgame.

As for the animal, they were clueless we were around and they were just wandering around the desert. I busted him at 367yds with my Warbird so he never ran. We field dressed it instantly but too my surprise we continued riding around with it until dark (about 2-3hours) in the back of our guides pickup. It wasn't in the sun but it didn't have any ice in it either. He was the last of our two antelope and as soon as we finished cleaning him we started looking for muleys. We had already taken my brothers lope back into town at lunchtime (nearly 1 hour away) so I guess the guide didn't want us feeling like we would've been missing an afternoon hunt by turning back around and going back too the processors with my lope.

I haven't given up tho, I'm sure I can do something with this meat. I am not one to waste it without exhausting all avenues. If nothing else I am sure I can make some kickarse stew with it at turkey camp next month!

Thanks again,
RA
Old 03-03-2006, 08:12 PM

You are what you eat! Be it sagebrush or cheesburgers. I like the sagey taste of Antelope and mule deer! Mt.Lion taste real good! Infact it is some of the best meat I have ever tasted! Think about what they eat.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Geez Red I can't help as all my antelope have been wonderful table fare.I will agree with the milk bath suggestion though, I have done this in the past and it works. I just use 2% though and let it sit 1-2 hours prior to cooking.

I like to season to tasteboneless medallions then skewer them wrapped in side bacon and grill. My preference is rare but with this techique you can cook to med-well without getting a dry finished product.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM

Last year I dropped my buck, gutted it, drove it to the processors and it was on ice within minutes of being shot. It still taste like a pile of sage brush. Real thick bold taste that I don't care for. I talked to our local processor back here in Western Montana and he told me to soak it in half&half for a couple hours prior to cooking. I haven't done it yet as I have plently of deer from last season to eat. So there is definately something to the soak in "cream" theory. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:18 PM

Well I might just try the "cream marinade" this weekend. Thanks men for the recommendation.

Well it's not a TOTAL loss, once I remove the meat from the cream I might use that cream to bake a pie for Hillary Clinton with!!!
RA

I can just see the look on her face when she tries my "cream antelope sage pie"...

Old 03-09-2006, 10:47 PM

Didn't you hear? That's actually what that cook looks like without makeup. If she has on a face of distaste you can't see her eyes.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I've never had sagey game, but as has been stated, marinades can do alot. Try an ovenight soak in 7 up or Sprite (good for any meat). Apple juice is a good marinade as well.

I've never had a bad antelope so....on the soap box:
1. Stalk and shoot, don't run them
2. Field dress immeadiatly.
3. Don't drag the thing across miles of terrain. If you have to take it aways to a vehicle, put it on a pack frame and carry it.
4. Get it skinned and on ice ASAP. A couple of bags in the body cavity or skin and quarter and pack in ice in coolers.
5. If can do, I get them in the freezer the day they are shot...or the next morning if an evening kill.

Can't always do all of the above, but can always--if prepared--at least get the meat on ice within an hour or so of the kill.

Okay, I'll get off the soap box.