Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

mountain Lion Tips

Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 AM

Default RE: mountain Lion Tips

The best way is with hounds, Lions are not built for wind, they can only go about 100 yards untill they tree up. Bobcats can run forever so unless your with a good hounds men with really good dogs, dont go after them. You need to hunt with snow. the scent of the cat stays better in the snow, other then dry ground. But its a blast and you will have to put in some hours before you score. Dont count on the first day. A lion can go with in a 5 mile area, and kill 1 to 2 deer a week. So remember were theres deer in the winter so are the cats.
Brett
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 PM

I am just curious if one were to try baiting a mountain lion what would you use to bait with? Also if one were to call a lion would you recomend just using standard prey in distress sounds or something more specific like a mountain lion mating call? thanks
A lot of companies make trapping bait that will attract lions. I used Prarrie River Cat Call last year for trapping bobcats and had a lion trip several of my sets.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Let me start off saying Ive never hunted lions before but I really want to and have been researching it for about 2 yrs now online, with books and by calling different guide services to get any info they would tell me. I have found that although calls can and will work for mountain lions, its definately not the best way due to the large area they will cover in a day. I think your best bet if you were going to call would be to move around from place to place calling for awhile at eachspot to get the sound out there. The other way to do it they said is to find a track and try to track him yourself. This method definately sounds like you should be a marathon runner or something because he was telling me they will run you for miles up and down the most difficult terrain. Best bet would be the dogs. This is by far their most successful way of doing it although still not easy like mentioned above. But its pretty expensive which is the reason I havent hired a guide yet for this kind of hunting. Best of luck to ya. Do some research.