Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Antelope Hunting!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Antelope Hunting!!!

Hello all! My brother and I have been reading hear for sometime and really like your site. A lot of great info here!!! My dad gave me and my brother a choice of hunts to go on and we chose hunting antelope in Wyoming. This will be a DIY hunt in the fall of 08, we have hunted antelope before in our home state of NE with Dad getting one. Just my brother and I will be hunting this time as Dad wants to get us our first antelope. We have never hunted out of state before and not really sure where to begin.

Did find Wyoming Game and Parks page and looks like alot of public land but have seen post that drawing a tag is hard. Is this true? Sure a big trophy would be nice but to tell the truth, we are just looking for a nice animal. I know no one is going to give up a great hunting spot but just a point in the right direction would be a great help.

PS - With us being 16, would we be able to get youth tags? And if so, are they easyer to draw?

Thank You!
Noah

Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Antelope Hunting!!!

Hey, cool. I'm 16 too. My grandpa and I are heading out to northeast WY this oct. to hunt mule deer and antelope. The northeast part of the state is mostly private land, but antelope are everywhere. Call the sheridan G&F department for a list of landowners. Call early next year though, because I started calling a week ago and everyone I have called so far is filled up for hunters or is leased to an outfitter.

If you want to do a public hunt which would still be as good as private land for antelope, I have heard areas in the thunder basin national grassland are good like area 7. Im not familiar with the other parts of the state, but I have heard that the Casper and Douglasareas have good antelope hunting.

Wherever you go, call the district wildlife biologist, they will be glad to help you out. I hope this helps
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the info 24/7, and also to those that sent pm's! We are really looking forward to this. It will be our first out of state hunting trip. We have found alot of helpful info here that others have posted already. Great site!!!

Noah
Old 07-10-2007, 05:51 AM

You can still get youth tags until you are 18. Check the wy g7f site and it shows the draw percentages for the areas. I know area 50 is easier to draw but not many monster antelope except on private land. I am an outfitter in south east Wy and can do tresspass hunts as well for antelope. Letm me know if you got anymore questions. Antelope are so much fun to hunt
Old 07-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thunder basin NG do hold some pretty good antelope numbers as well as some nice bucks. You just have to know what you are looking for and keep looking. There is enough of them out there you don't need to be in a hurry.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:06 AM

I've only drawn one tag in 7yrs of trying. I didn't draw this year either.
They do have leftover tags avaliable thru Wyoming Game and Fish but the process is a little hard to understand. New Mexico has a easier "after the draw" leftover tag purchase, just buy online when the leftover tags come out. Buying leftover tags anywhere usaully means hunting in an area where the game is limited.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:56 PM

The left over draw is going on now in wy. apply online for the tags that are only left over. You just have to read through the site a little but check for permission first. Usually the areas with tags that are left over are mostly private. Check a map first or call game and fish for names of land owners
Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 PM

We have this down to one or two units. Dad talked with someone with Game and Fish, and they said we were given some very good info. Thank you all!!!!! I think we are going to Wyoming in Aug. to get a feel for both areas. I have a question, and that is, is there much for prairie dogs in the Thunder Basin National Grasslands? We were just thinking that if so, we would bring the rifles along. I think we will try staying in Newcastle. Don't know what there is for hotels but Dad is checking into that. Thanks again!

Noah

PS - Does anyone know of any good reads on hunting antelope?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:49 AM

During some of my wyoming hunting research, I read some where that prairie dog hunting is only allowed on some parts of the national grassland. I think because the black footed ferrets eat them and the ferrets are endangered. I also heard many ranchers would be willing to let people prairie dog hunt on their property since they damage the land. By the way, search on google for the newcastle chamber of commerce. They have some great hunting info for that area. It really helped me out when my family hunted there last year.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck to you both on your hunt.

Quick Reply: Antelope Hunting!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.