Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

FULL MOON

Old 01-11-2002, 08:36 AM

Default FULL MOON

WOULD LIKE TO HEAR OF YOUR OPINION ON HUNTING DURING THE FULL MOON. THE REASON I AM ASKING IS, MY HUNT IS BOOKED FOR ELK IN COLORADO 2002 FOR THE DATES OF OCT. 19th TO THE 23rd. FULL MOON FALLS ON THE 21st. ANY REASON TO WORRY OR IS IT ALL FOLK LURE.?
Old 01-14-2002, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: FULL MOON

Can't speak for Elk, but can say that with Red Deer (Which are a very similar species i.e. They interbreed with Elk.) the full moon during the rut is one of the best times.
Activity (Bugling, Roaring, mating.) seems to go up a gear. A good time to be out there.
Have known stags to roar almost without stopping, all night long, on a full moon.
Also the possibility of taking a shot at night in the right conditions. I'd have no hesitation in going after Elk in that time slot.

SOUTHERN MAN.
"GO HARD OR STAY HOME"
Old 01-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's folk lore that elk are more or less active with the full moon.I believe the weather that you have during your hunt will be the biggest "success" factor.If it's hot and dry, it will be very tough hunting, but if it happens to snow abit and is cold, your success will be,I'd like to say, guranteed, but that may be slightly overstating.From what I've seen, the best is just after a good storm, say like about 12" snow and wind, then the next 24 hours after the storm, elk will semm to be every where.Just pray for cold and some snow, and hunting will be good!
Old 01-19-2002, 09:34 AM

I have in my elk hunting forays, have found this idea works for me.

During a full moon, elk move more at night, and you will see more tracks and find them holing up earlier in the day and coming out later in the afternoon.

During the new moon, the stay just a LITTLE bit longer out in the morning, and comeout just a LITTLE bit earlier in the afternoon. They also have a tendency to walk in the timber a bit more midday.

I haven't found that much avantage in either, but the knowledge itself gives me a little more edge.