Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Full moon during the rut

Old 09-27-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Full moon during the rut

Been looking at the moon phase chart for the upcoming season. I noticed that there will be a full moon at about the same time as peak rut where I hunt in TX. How will the full moon affect the rut? Are there any special strategies I should use this season?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Full moon during the rut

TURNER I EXPERIENCED THIS SAME SITUATION LAST YEAR IN CANADA ... IHUNTED ALBERTAFROM THE 21rst OF NOVEMBERTILL THE 30th ... I HAD TO CONTEND WITH THE FULL MOON THAT WEEK AND IT WAS THE LAST WEEK OF THE RUT ..OR AT LEAST THE RUT WAS WINDING DOWN ... I WAS SOMEWHAT CONCERNED ABOUT HAVING TO HUNT THAT WEEK BUT MY OUTFITTER ASSURED ME THAT DURING THE RUT THE MOON MAKES LITTLE DIFFERENCE ... WELL HE WAS RIGHT .. ON THE THIRD DAY I TOOK MY "DREAM" BUCK ...I STAYED THE REST OF THE WEEK AND WENT OUT WITH THE OUTFITTER WHILE HE TRIED TO FILL HIS TAG AND WE SAW A NUMBER OF BUCKS CHASING DOE'S ...SO I AM CONVINCED THAT THE FULL MOON DURING THE RUT HAS LITTLE EFFECT ON THE DEER ... HOPE THIS HELPS ..

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 09-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think when they start chasing does they run 24 hours a day and that it doesn't matter if the moon is full or not.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it haslittle to do with itbecause when the does need the love the bucks provide the shove!