Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Opinions wanted. Drop camp or DIY? >

Opinions wanted. Drop camp or DIY?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Opinions wanted. Drop camp or DIY?

Old 01-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Default RE: Opinions wanted. Drop camp or DIY?

bugs,

Three Forks Ranch is defenitely not a high fenced hunt. If you watch the outdoor channel, you have seen this ranch featured several times by different hunters. I think they start at $10K for a guided elk hunt. I have not heard about there drop camps.

Unless I just missed it, I dont think you can do an either sex rifle hunt. I could be wrong. Also bow is not an over the counter hunt. Their are still units in which you have to draw. When you get your regs in the mail, you will understand the codes they give for each species and the unit that it pertains to. I think Black Elk said it best. Your best shot to actually get one on your first time besides for just getting lucky is to utilize an outfitters knowledge of the area. Then once you have seen the ground, you could do it on your own.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, there are a number of units that have either sex rifle elk tags. Elkfreak: check out the link I posted. All of the codes that start with EE are elk/either sex. My partner hunts the first rifle season almost every year with an either sex tag.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

IF you are driving to Colorado & you own quality camping equipment? I would DIY. A DIY camp will give you more hunting area options. A DIY hunt will also be cheaper.If you do not own quality camping gear? You have two options.
1) Book a drop camp hunt & see what the outfitter provides? wall tents, wood stoves, tables, chairs, cots & lanterns. After the hunt decide if you want to hunt like this again? If you do want to elk hunt again? Buy your own gear.
2) Pool your money together & buy the camp gear you need.
One drop camp booked with an outfitter will cost you as much as buying your own camping gear.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 PM

Well, I've been on the phone the last couple days talking to CO DOW folks about how the elk licensing works. Called the Meeker district office and somehow ended up connected to a guy in the Denver office. He was somewhat helpful. Today I called the Glenwood Springs district office and talked to a real nice lady. She explained a lot about how the licensing works. I thought the IA deer regs were complicated but CO got them beat by a long shot. So now I think I might just have a decent idea on how it all works.

The more I think and discuss, the more I think we're going the DIY route. We have good camping gear. The only thing we don't have is shelter. We either need to find a cheap camper, or buy a good tent and a stove. And we have to zero in on which GMU's to hunt.

Thanks for all the input, it was much appreciated.

Bugs