Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

OKLAHOMA ELK

Old 11-29-2005, 09:30 AM

Default OKLAHOMA ELK

HEY I HUNT ELK ON PRIVITE LAND IN OKLAHOMA AND WOULD LIKE TO LEARN SOME ROCKY MOUNTIAN TACTICS. SO IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME HOW TO HUNT THEM IN DECEMBER THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL. O IM ALSO USING A BOW. WOULD THE RUT BE LIKE HOW IT IS IN THE SOUTH WITH WHITETAILS THE MORE SOUTH YOU GO THE LATER THE RUT IS. OR WHAT I WOULD FIGURE IT. SO IF ANYONE COULD HELP. THEN IT WOULD BE VERY APPRECHEATED.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:38 PM

Default RE: OKLAHOMA ELK

Well, I live in okla. I just hunted my first elk in NM lthis last OCT. I just did what the guide said. But I did learn a few things. Seems like elk hit water before they feed (early evening,late afternoon) and after they feed(early morning). So you can ambush them them at a waterhole. Also it is easier to call them in during the rut. In the rockys the rut is mid/late september so I would guess you missed the rut, even though it has only just gotten cold here.
Just about any cartridge that is over 140 grains will work, but the most popular seems to be the .300 win mag followed by the 7mm remington mag. 3006, .308, 270, and 280 rem are also good choices. I used a 280. Use heavey bullets (for .30 caliber cartridges, they reccomend a 180 grain bullet). Nosler partition is far and away the most popular bullet even though it is 50 years old!
Go to www.outdoorlife.com and search thier archive of articles for tactics and tips as well as bullet choices.
What rifle and caliber are you using?
okcmco
Old 12-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use the lost cow calls or the calf in distress at this time of the year. Not much bugling going on. Though the majority of the cows will come in to cycle in the middle of Septmber, the older cows will start to cycle in the middle or at the end of august. Depending on the average cow age in the herd ,will dictate how well the elk activity picks up earlier in the season. The cows that don't take and the cows just coming into breeding age a little late, will cycle in october. Giving you a rut time of middle august well into october with the peak being in or around the third week of september.Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 AM

I USE A 7MM. I ALSO BOW HUNT WITH A MATHEWS OUTBACK 100 GRAIN FIXED BLADE BROADHEAD WISKER BUSQUIT.