Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma

Old 11-25-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Oklahoma

It is now November 25th in Oklahoma. I haven't been out in a couple of days but I plan to hunt some this coming week. What are you guys seeing? My brother went out a few days ago and saw 7 deer on a morning sit. I went out a day later in the same stand and didn't see anything. Gun season still has a few days left so what do you think we can expect deer movementwise?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Oklahoma

I think it depends on what part of the state you are hunting. The northeast part is in really bad shape. I would say the ice storm last year took it's toll on the deer herd in that area. The check stations that I have talked to are down under 50% from last year. I probably haven't seen 25 deer all season.

Darrall
Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter

I think it depends on what part of the state you are hunting. The northeast part is in really bad shape. I would say the ice storm last year took it's toll on the deer herd in that area. The check stations that I have talked to are down under 50% from last year. I probably haven't seen 25 deer all season.

Darrall
I second that, not only did the storm affect the herd but the woods are in such bad shape that some areas are just plain impossible to get to without spooking every animal in there. The good bucks we've seen have been in thesuper thick downedtimberand very difficult to put a good shot on.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Barely seeing anything. One place i hunt has the same group of 6 does walk through every night and i keep thinking a buck is going to fallow them one night but he hasnt yet. The check station we go to by wewoka has only had 105 checked in all season, and normally they get around 300 on opening day of rifle. They just dont seem to moving anywhere.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

The reason they aren't moving down there is that the ice storm actually improved the habitat for deer and with all of the rain we've had on top of that (statewide), things are optimal for them right now...they just don't have to move much to get all of what they need on a daily basis.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM

i hunt in northwest ok between seiling and woodward and have only seen 1 small buck. this is my first year at this lease and the guys i hunt with cant believe the lack of deer movement. they said last year you saw no less than 10 deer everytime you went out and 4 would be bucks. i have had no trouble seeing does but they have even seen few of them this year. i have a little bit more woods on my place though.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw alot of sign in south central day before Turkey day! My brother bailed hay 4-5 times and the meadows are so tall you can only see top of round bales now!Some big deer checked in around Coalgate but like the man said the deer don't have to move,the warm before Thanksgiving had them moving at night and the branches are deep where they can move in daylight and not be seen!The wind that blew through last Wednesday morning bushed things up tight,everything that I saw was in the bottoms,but saw 2 doe bed down in a hay meadows and became invisable!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM

I hadn't considered the effects of the ice storm until you guys mentioned it. My brother and I went out this evening. I sat over a wheat field in the woods and he was down in the bottoms deep in the woods. I saw nothing but he had a fork horn come in and stay for about an hour. He said it ate all of the way in and bedded for a while, got back up and slowly browsed around. I agree, there is food everywhere and nothing much appears to be moving. We hunt in southern Creek county andhave seen no nice bucks this year just small ones and some does. We each took an 8 point but they weren't very big.

We have about 7 acres in winter wheat. When do you think they will start hitting that in the day time?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Hunting between OKC and Tulsa. Set up my stand one week prior to the opener but was unable to hunt it until last Friday. The wife and I were on vacation for the first week of rifle season...guys, don't ever let your ladies plan a vacation in the fall.

Anyhow, my stand is nearly landlocked between private property. Upon arriving to my stand on Friday I noticed right off the bat somebody had tampered with it, if not hunted out of it. A bit peeved and discouraged I sat in the stand all day Friday only seeing two doe that I called in with the "Can". Debating hunting elsewhere in the state for the last four days of the season. Shot a nice 4x4 last year within a few hundred yards of this years stand.

I've got $200 dumped into this non-res tag, I'd rather not eat soup.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I don't really agree with that. I have been hunting the same area for 15 years and have never once has the hunting been this bad. I have also been told that they have found a fair amount of dead deer in the county I hunt that could have been caused by the ice storm. Lets face it, even when the hunting is bad you can usually see a few Does. I think I have seen 3 all season and we have some nice food plots on our lease. Nothing is hitting them.

Darrall

Quick Reply: Oklahoma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.