Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Getting Bears out of the woods >

Getting Bears out of the woods

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Getting Bears out of the woods

Old 09-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Getting Bears out of the woods

[align=left]I will be going on my first black bear hunt this November. It is just a DIY hunt for Pa bears that my dad and I decided to go on. The season is only 3 days long with no hounds or baiting, just sitting, driving, or stalking. I really don't have high expectations of geting anything, but I want to be prepared incase I do. My question is how do I get the bear out of th woods? I would assume drag it, but seeing how these bears are rather large, and the terrain is kind of harsh, I wanted to see if you guys had any tips to make it easier. If I am lucky enough to get one, I want to make a rug out of it, so I want to keep the hide as prestine as possible. Would dragging it on a tarp help?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]How do you guys do it? Thanks for your help.[/align][align=left]Steven[/align]
Old 09-26-2005, 04:00 PM

Default RE: Getting Bears out of the woods

A lot of guides will use a stretcher. You can make your own, or you can buy a military surplus one. A dragging tarp would work, but dragging any bear over 200 pounds is quite a chore. You might want to consider having some people on stand by that you can call for help.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Dominant Buck

IMO bear drag harder than deer. They seem to catch on everything. Look into buying or building a wheeled stretcher. I think Cabelas has them. The first bear I helped drag we were getting nowhere fast and we finally cut a pole and carried it out. It was only a 200 pounder and 4 of us did it easily and didn't ruin the rug. We covered it with an orange coat for safety.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:45 PM

if the terrain is to rough like where i hunt, then u need to pack it out. Skin the bear leaving the paws and head attached, pack that out, then just keep commin back and taking asmuch as you can throw on your back. Sure it takes alot of energy and time, but in some places you just cant drag it out unless you have a million people to help you, and even then its not realistic in mountainous terrain
Old 09-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Spike

like murph said you might have to skin and pack it out...we have done this a bunch in BC when i hunt with my bro and shoot a black bear back in the mountains... its the only practical way to do it. just a reminder to study how to skin one so you dont leave big flaps up by the head. have fun and good luck
Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions guys...I'll look into taking them out on the pole, but with only my dad and I I'm not sure how well that would work.

Any other suggestions?