Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 R Guided & Private Land , Really Hunting???????????? >

R Guided & Private Land , Really Hunting????????????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

R Guided & Private Land , Really Hunting????????????

Old 08-27-2005, 09:01 AM

Default RE: R Guided & Private Land , Really Hunting????????????

Bowdark, you cannot possible believe what you just wrote. While I agree that money is becomming a problem in the hunting world, class warfare isn't going to help anything. A better position for you to take is to do what is necessary for you to get in a financial position to enjoy your own private property. If I had 200 acres to hunt, I would, without apology to anyone. I am fortunate in that I really have no need for such acreage as I live in an area that is relatively lightly populated with a large volume of public hunting land. I have more money than a lot of folks where I live, and less then a lot of folks where I live. I don't feel sorry for those with less, nor do I feel envious of those with more, it's up to me to achieve the finacial goals that I have. If somebody is traveling out of state to hunt, espcially true in the west, then an outfitter is a resonable proposition. To say that they didn't do their own scouting is a weak argument, as it is often not feasable to do such scouting.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:41 AM

Living here in British Columbia I have access to endless acres of crown land and approx. 3000 acres of private land to hunt whitetails, mulies, elk, moose, turkey etc. The private property is a mix of farm land and wood lots surrounded by crown land. In fact the main area I huntmy elk borders the U.S.A. I do not see why an animal I harvest on this land would be looked upon as an unfair advantage over everyone else. There are no high fences, the animals are free to range in and out of the private areas as they please....and they do. Hunters hunt the crown land adjacent to the private lands and our neighbours to the South hunt their land. Although I agree your chances on private land may be slightly better than public to take an animal, it is still by no means a guaranteed kill. Do your homework, make up a portfolio with all of your personal information and approach some land owners to gain access to their private land and your opinion may change!

Everyone have a successfull, safe, season!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:27 PM

I would agree in so much as killing an animal is typically tougher on public than private and for that reason it could take more skill to kill the same buck simply for the fact of preassure. As far as the guide situation, unless your dad never took you out and showed you how to do what you do, unless you just stepped out into the woods and learned everything on your own without any help, then we've all been guided at some point. That being said I have had a lot less help in learning how to hunt than a lot of my friends and they will give me props for that because they started at age 12 with their dads leading them to the animal and telling them to shoot while I basically learned by trial and error or from friends in high school. I think I know what your point is but the way you phrased the question has obviously made some people mad.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:52 PM

yes bigbulls, i will not hunt with a guide, now as far as someone saying "try over there,or maybe here" that is fine. i just don't want someone holding my hand, and saying shoot that one. and one other thing paying someone to find an animal for me is out of the ? not ever going to happen, and i don't care what animal it is or how much funds i have!
and so i may never hunt alaska, well i guess i could i would just have to talk to a friend up there. but not really that interested in it! i will say that not all private land is the same, and not all public land is the same. some public land around here gets very little pressure while others have people all over it.
so as differant record books it would be hard to make fair all across the board. i beleive your personal record book is way more important. to me well last year i shot a 8x7 muley with rifle....big deal. this year i will not even hunt with a rifle, i probly won't shot as nice as a deer. but i will have a better time anyway.that is more important to me.
and i like the challenge of national forest deer, or elk, i have seen lots of animals on STATE land and they don't act near the same as national forest or grassland, or blm. animals. they just see the rancher so much they get where they are not assoiating people with danger. some people need tamer deer to hunt though, so if that is what they want go for it!

just my .02
Old 08-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

bowedark, this is a topic that has been hashed over before on this forum. It seems to me that if you have the money to hunt"exotic" areas away from home then the idea of a guided hunt is ok. If you don't have the money then it's not legitimate. You are painting yourself into a corner here with your ideas. I believe, in the future, if you develop the means to pursue adream hunt in anexotic location, that you along with most people on this forum would jump at the chance.

Just speaking from my perspective, I have always dreamed ofan elk hunt in the wilderness areas of NW Wyoming. Being from Illinois, therefore as a non-resident of Wyoming, it is required by state law that I hire aguide liscensed by the state of Wyoming to hunt this area. I would much rather go it alone or with a hunting partner but the State of Wyoming will not allow it. I could care less about the recordbooks, my dream hunt is to hunt this wilderness area that was visitedby mountain men like John Colter and Jim Bridger.Too much emphasis is placed on the record books! Enjoy the hunt, forget the record books! I've hunted whitetails for more than 20 years and have never made an entry into the record books.That's not what I'm out there for!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:59 PM

bowedark I think you are just trying to troll and cause controversy. If not then you are just showing how truly ignorant you are! Ok let's remove ALL non-public land and guide assisted animals from the books, boy that's gonna be one short read. The books wouldn't be two pages in length if that was the case.

Do you realize that about 95% of all whitetails live on private land? With your communistic ideology we could effectively eliminate whitetails from the books. The majority of antelope are likewise found on private land, might as well strike them from the rolls. I would venture to say that a large percentage of ALL animals are on private land in most areas of the continent. The hunter and the private land owner are THE greatest conservationists on the globe. BUT you public land "weekend warriors" are such great givers and put so much back into the land, yeah you're right you guys deserve it all. In fact, screw it, let's just make the books ALL for you public land Bubba's who are so good and kill so many animals (without any help of course) that you will FLOOD the books and make the other un-necessary.

BUT WAIT, except in some locations in the west and the far north, very very very few book class animals are taken from public land. Why is that? Is it because you guys are so selective? LMAO we all know the answer too that one. Listen too opening day on your local state hunting area and you will swear you are in Iraq! Is it because you guys kill sooooooooo many heads of game that you don't see the justification for putting them in the books? Nope can't be that, most public landers have never even seen a book head in the wild. It must be because they simply DON'T EXIST THERE in the first place because of overharvest and itchy trigger fingers? Also, add too the fact that government agencies can't manage much more than a Koolaide stand, much less a trophy herd of XYZ on 100,000 acres of land. Hmmmmmmmm I am seeing a pattern here.

I suspect you think your best buddy "da guvament" should just TAKE everything from everyone and give it too folks such as yourself huh? Well you better study some history about most governments and realize that the ones that have "everything for everyone" is that they typically don't allow ANYTHING too all but a select few. There were very few "public hunters" in the former Soviet Union because for one, they weren't allowed to use "government land" for such desires. And two, there were very few private gun owners at the "common man level".

So bowedark do us a favor and SHUT YOUR DAMNED MOUTH!!! Keep you orange on and your head down because that guy over the next hill probably just bought that 7400 Remington with a Tasco on it lastnight (even had it bore sighted before he left the store!) and is pretty sure he heard something walking in your general direction!
RA

ps
I agree with Stubbs, I believe you are simply jealous so you want to vindicate your own plight and therefore must belittle those fortunate enough to have what you desire but aren't able to attain yet. Relax, with a lil hard work and determination you to can hunt and enjoy the great outdoors on some quality places. But first you must learn to keep your mouth shut or you will NEVER get the first invite from anyone in the first place!
Old 08-27-2005, 06:24 PM

hunter-59, in wyoming you could hunt the wilderness without paying a guide. u must have a resident to the state of wyoming take you. i you really want an elk hunt, after 20 years of whitetails, than p.m. me i would be glad to help you. oh, don't worry about seeing "book" animals. i have killed a 339 5/8 6x6 bull on public land. and i have got a 7x5 muley and a 8x7 muley. both my huntn buddies got book class deer last year. and right now i have seen 2 pope and young bulls, and 4 whitetails and our season has not even started yet!
Old 08-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

It sounds like the opinion of someone that does not have access to private land and can't afford to hire an outfitter and is jealous of those of us that can.

Boy you hit that right on the head.[/blockquote]
Old 08-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

I do think people are buying deer/elk And I do not think that is right. Here in Montana there is many places you can go hunt for 10,000 and kill a 380+ bull.What a crock of crap. They grow a public animal than get payed to hunt it.People like Ted Turner suck butt.I do not think that the animals should be alowed in the books with animale that are not payed for.

I do get to hunt in a lot of difrant states. I do not pay a guide or ever buy an animal.So far I have done very well on my own or with a partner.I do go in blind a lot. I just take the 1st day or 2 to figger out where the animals are and what is the best way to hunt them.

The only time I will use a guide if there is no way I can hunt for that animal.[like AK grizz] I will hunt them in the next 2 to 3 years.It has been hard to find a good guy that would bow hunt them.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Well said RA!

Quick Reply: R Guided & Private Land , Really Hunting????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.