Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Broadheads - COC's

Old 07-31-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Elk Broadheads - COC's

I really respect alot of the bowhunting Elk fanatics on here, especially those elk crazy nuts from Idaho! With that in mind, I'm curiousall of your thoughts on CoC heads.

Anyway, I shoot 3 blade Muzzy 125's and have always really liked them. I'm starting to wonder if I'm behind the times and should switch to a CoC head.

How is Muzzy's Phantom head? I'm a big fan of Muzzy's durability and mostly flight. They fly like a dream for me and wondering if the Phantoms might to?

Some others mentioned are the Stingers and Razorcaps. What is everyone's favorite and mostly, why?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Elk Broadheads - COC's

My personal choice is a slick trick for any animal I hunt. However it is not a COC head.

If I wanted a true COC head I would most definetly look real hard at the Razor Caps. I bought some a while back and they are a wonderful head. They spin very true and the tip is needle sharp. They do not feel as sharp as some other blades but this is because of the angle at which they are sharpened. Kind of like the Montecs but they will slice through flesh and bone with ease. Actually I will probably be shooting them right along side with my slick tricks this year as a side by side testing kind of thing. Hopefully I will be able to get back to Colorado and try them on elk this year.

The phantoms are a good head however I do not like the way that the blades rest against the arrows insert. There is no steel washer or anything else to keep the blades from gouging your inserts on a hard hit.

If you want a four blade head then look at the magnus stinger head. It is built much like the phantom but is a much stronger desig and is much sharper.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

COC are in fact the best for penertration, but if you got enough KE then there is nothing wrong with a Muzzy or Thunderheador any other good quality fixed blade broadhead. This year because I am running tight on money after buying a whole new set up and I had to replace my old truck with another good used truck.I will shoot muzzys again. For the last few years I have shot thunder heads.Next year I want to maybe try the stingers out, I have a few and they fly awesome but they are a bit more than thunderheads or muzzys.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:43 PM

I have taken all my bulls i have bagged with a muzzy 3 blade broadhead when i was hunting with a compound bow, since the last 2 years i have been hunting with a longbow and i have been hunting with Zwickey coc broadhead, and i am getting really hungry for elk meat!!!
I feel with a 'traditional bow' a 2 blade coc broadhead,you will get better penetration, than with a 3-4 blade broadhead,
RobinHood36>>>=============<>
Old 07-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went and bought some muzzey's today, I was looking at some of the coc blades though. what do you guys think of those crimson talon ones? (the ones that have they blades curved to produce spin). Also, Cabelas had some deadly lookin three blade---muzzy style blades and they had them for 19.99 for 6. they were called tech 3s or f-3s (can't exactly remember, gettin old). Anybody know of them?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

COC is all I now use, they just plain work especially on larger/tougher animals such as elk or moose. Prior I was a die hard muzzy man, they worked fine as well. Equally haven't heard to many say bad thinks about TH's. Lots to choose from in BH arena in terms of COC but the 2 I like best thus far are Magnus Stingers and Steelforce premiums. In my compound setup the Steelforce slightly edges out the magnus in terms of accuracy and group right with my FP's. I foundsteelforce to be a tad sharper out of the package then magnusand their CS is top notch as well.

hillbilly, have heard and read hunter'sclaim the crimson's aren't very durable..twisting, bending and losing blades. Never personally tried them so it is hersay from my stand point. I will say have not heard a bad review of magnus COC of any kind, so they appear to be one of the favs right know but lots look promising as well like the razorcaps.

Bets of luck
Old 08-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chad,
Those f-3's from cabelas are POS,I bought some.The locking ring don't hold the blade tight enough and I was losing blades in my block.
Muzzy's are a good ol'standby,never heard anything bad about one same with thunder heads.
I bought 6 new magnus stingers 4-blade and they fly great,I was shooting G'5s by montec great head but they made alittle noise when I was shooting them,soI went with the stingers.
I realy like razor caps,but they are spendy and the Slick tricks good luck finding any here in Montana.
BBJ
Old 08-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the feedback guys. I took the muzzys back and got the steel force coc with the bleeder blades. these are serrated toward the back of the main blade. Look like they might inflict some hemorraging (sp). I've never had to sharpen blades before---always used mechanicals back east. What type of sharpener does anyone recommend?
Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being a crazy Idaho Boy myself!I shoot Wac'em Broadheads.. They are a great CoC BH. They fly great and penetrate like a son of a gun!! Take a look at them! You won't be dissapointed!